Re: Inserting in insert mode maxes cpu. (VS2010 Beta 3)

Hello,

If I have a file open and am editing it for a period of time (maybe 30 minutes or more) without closing it and re-opening as I type characters in insert mode it will become extremely slow (5 - 10 seconds a character) and max the cpu until the characters are all on the screen at which point cpu will drop to normal, but if I start typing again it maxes the cpu. In normal mode it doesn't have a problem I can navigate around the file without a problem. Closing the file and re-opening seems to clear things up for a bit.

I didn't experience this problem before I installed viemu. I did try to narrow down the problem by disabling Resharper 5.0 and then separately also viemu to see if I could get it to happen independently, and it does appear to be an issue only when viemu is enabled.

To me it seems like something is being stored/cache as the file is being edited and maybe this store/cache becomes to large and slows everything down until it is cleared by closing the file.

Thanks,

Chad

BitDrifter wrote:

Hello,

If I have a file open and am editing it for a period of time (maybe 30 minutes or more) without closing it and re-opening as I type characters in insert mode it will become extremely slow (5 - 10 seconds a character) and max the cpu until the characters are all on the screen at which point cpu will drop to normal, but if I start typing again it maxes the cpu.
<snip>

I am experiencing the same behavior, although it doesn't take 30 min. to manifest.  As soon as I notice it beginning, I close all files, close the solution, and then open it again.  Sometimes I close and restart VS 2010.
I have Resharper 5.1 installed on JetBrains' recommendation.

Sorry, I wasn't quite clear on your meaning:

Did ReSharper 5.1 clear up the issue? Or is it still occurring even after you updated to 5.1?

I have the same problem with ViEmu VS2010 beta 3. My only VS plugin in ViEmu.

We are addressing this, and beta 4 should have it fixed. We are trying to fix another unrelated issue before releasing it. Regards, - Jon

BitDrifter wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't quite clear on your meaning:

Did ReSharper 5.1 clear up the issue? Or is it still occurring even after you updated to 5.1?

No, ReSharper 5.1 did not solve the problem.  Seems to be ViEmu related, not RS.

Sorry about not posting again, indeed, it's ViEmu's fault (actually, the fault of the incipient-non-functional hlsearch functionality beta 3 had). Beta 4 has this fixed. Planned to release later today, or tomorrow.

admin wrote:

Sorry about not posting again, indeed, it's ViEmu's fault (actually, the fault of the incipient-non-functional hlsearch functionality beta 3 had). Beta 4 has this fixed. Planned to release later today, or tomorrow.

Great, thanks for  the updates.  Your responsiveness is really appreciated.

Thanks! I have been less responsive lately, with all the issues related to the new licensing system, the new customer area, and the new ViEmu/VS2010. I'm trying to catch up with everything, and hopefully we'll be on our track to good & fast service again shortly!

Regards,

- Jon