Re: POLL: Are you a vier or a vimmer? (or something weirder!)

Hello everyone,

This is an informal poll. In order to know more about ViEmu users, I would like to ask you whether you are more of a 'vi' user, or more of a 'vim' user. Some doubts often come up, and knowing what is more prevalent among users could be useful.

When there are differences, of course the best thing to do is to implement a user setting, but resource (ie: time) are often short, and I have to implement a first version, even if a user setting may easily appear in a later version.

Of course, there are also 'viw' users, and even 'viper' users (!), so feel free to post what your personal preference is.

Thanks!

Jon

PS: If you are a 'pure vi' user, the major vim thing I'd encourage you to check out is its 'visual' mode: press 'v' or 'V', move around, and type any operator. ViEmu fully supports it, so enjoy it!

gvim-er. usually on Windows.

Thank afton - by the way, I didn't post my case, which is gvim-er too, always on Windows.

these days, primarily ViEmu:)

But aside from that, gvim (for Windows).

I'm also mostly on ViEmu, and I haven't found anything to complain about for quite a while :-)

Occasionally I'll use Vim for Windows, but things like VSCmdShell (http://www.codeplex.com/VSCmdShell/) make it easier to work entirely within Visual Studio. It will be even better when we get command line completion added to ViEmu (hint, hint).

In my spare time I use Vim for Unix.

Im a 12year user of Viw (the version that ships with the open-source Watcom compiler). Its an amazing version of Vi smile

Todd.

gVim on Windows

vim/gvim on Linux, gvim  on Windows.  I cry when I have to go back to straight vi, how UNIX ever got written without vim I will never know.

ViEmu for VS and Outlook/Word. Otherwise, gvim on Windows and Linux. I used to use Viper a lot in the 90's until Vim got good enough for fulltime use.

I spend a fair amount of time at the command line where I use vi.  I have found that vi is typically vim, either way as a web developer alot of it is text based.

Pat O

vim

vim

gvim or vim on windows or unix.

Mostly vim on unix, but sometimes vi.
gvim on Windows.
Of course more and more ViEmu on VS!

gvim-er. usually on Windows.
Also some vim on linux.
Now looking forward to becoming a viEmu'er :-)

vim on linux, lemmy on windows...

if (MS-Shop)
  VS.Net+ViEmu
else if (Java-Shop)
  Eclipse+viPlugin

unfortunately, you've made it  so that I use Visual Studio a lot.  I feel dirty. I'm going to go take a shower.

vim if I can help it. notepad otherwise smile

At home/school: gVim for anything significant, console vim for a quick edit.  All on OS X.
At work: I've played with using gVim with the Visual Studio integration (there is a really neat plugin on vim.org) but I just come back to ViEmu.  I pretty much need to use VS, at least for project management and building.

gvim on windows and linux. vim if needed, never vi

I cut my teeth on vi on Unix,

currently I am learning to use vim for python on Windows,

but ViEmu in Visual Studio/Office rocks!

I used vi for years, then Elvis for a while... and now vim (and gvim) except occasionally when I encounter a system with only vi or nvi. I use many vim-specific features, but (since I sometimes fall back) I like to have vim work as much like vi as possible (so I disable Windows key mappings and the default non-vi-compatible multi-undo behavior).

Usually I notice that I'm not using vim when I press V and get no visual selection, at which point I check to see if vim is installed in addition to the default vi. smile

I tried vim a couple of times, both under Windows and a few Unices, but as soon as I got fluent in vim I had to do something with VisualStudio or the like, which ruined my vim skills faster than I could learn them.

Now that I've got ViEmu I use vim under Linux and gvim/vim/ViEmu under Windows. It's such a relief that I wish to have the vim input model everywhere, right now especially in this TextBox here.

ViEmu is also the reason why my texts written with notepad usually look like this:

iThis is ahhhCwill be a TestbgUwA-FILEdd:q! (which is about the time I start vim to do the job)

Last edited by w.nesensohn (2007-04-10 13:34:16)

I also miss vi editing in browser textareas smile

Quick! Write a Firefox add-on and release it for free! smile

I'm sorry, I can't afford it! It could make a good marketing move in the future, though, to sponsor the development of a "ViEmu for Firefox" for free. But this can't happen before business grows a bit, and for that I have to invest my time in the current business, ViEmu and the text editor I'm working on...