Re: POLL: Are you a vier or a vimmer? (or something weirder!)

Mostly gVIM on Windows. Occasionally VIM on Linux.

My development at work as shifted from .net to Ruby On Rails using the RadRails  IDE which has no VIM emulator yet. Cough, cough.

Cool! I was actually joking. I figured you'd charge money for it if you were to do it.

I was just explaining smile But I have just discovered this:

http://vimperator.mozdev.net/

Doesn't work for textareas, but for general Firefox usage. We're getting close, someone will end up coding a vi textarea.

I've been using Vim for 5 years and I love it.
I need it on both, Linux and Windows.

I mainly use it in gVim mode.

BTW, thanks for the ViEmu, that's really what I missed in Visual C++ IDE I use every day. Great job!

You're welcome Mateusz, thanks for the kind comment!

I use ViEmu 100% of the time myself, and it would be impossible for me to go back to "raw" text editing!

vim/gvim in windows
vim/gvim in linux

I've always thought the lack of vi support to be the only thing really missing from a dev environment like Visual Studio. I always had several gvim windows open in order to do text processing, but now i don't have to do that!

"I also miss vi editing in browser textareas"

The It's All Text addon for FireFox works well for me. It puts a little, almost invisible button next to a text area, that you can click to open the content of the text area in the editor of your choice (gvim for me). When you save in the text editor, it automatically updates the text area. Very useful when typing more than just a few words in the text area.

In response to the poll, I regularly use vim on both Windows and Linux, and gvim in the above mentioned case.

Casey

VIM for me too smile

GVIM on Windows.

I've really been dragged into windows kicking and screaming.

However, with gVim, ViEmu, and cygwin with zsh, I can pretend I'm on a unix machine fairly well.

I came to VIM from Emacs after reading 'The Pragmatic Programmer' many years ago.

I've been a lifelong user of DOS and Windows (although I've done occasional development on Linux and AIX), but I've only come to using vim myself 2 or 3 years ago. For various reasons, I am also using more and more linux these days, and I recently installed cygwin myself too (although I use bash). Many ViEmu customers are lifelong Unix users though, and some support requests start "After using vi for 20 years, I have become accustomed to such and such, and ViEmu deviates from it...", to which I can only oblige smile

gvim Win and Linux
(but I grew up on vi...)

gvim ViEmu

gVim, mostly on Windows.  I'm strongly considering becoming a ViEmu-er, but the price tag has me thinking about learning Emacs (or brief) for Visual Studio's emulation.

vim, on windows and linux
ViEmu, on windows.
viper-mode when LISPing with slime on windows and linux.

vim all the way, i make sure and use "console style" vim so there's no change in interface/usage on console or gui versions.

gVim

vile and nvi

It would be really nice to have a nvi undo mode in ViEmu.  The ViEmu seems to mimic vim's undo behavior, while nvi and vile have a different way of handling undo.  With 15 years of doing it the nvi way it makes it almost impossible for me to switch to vim (and thus ViEmu).

The vile way, as described in the help.  Nvi with multi-undo behaves the same way:
In addition, the '.' command, which normally re-executes the last
buffer-modifying command, has special behavior with respect to
undo.  If the '.' command immediately follows one of the undo
commands ('u', '^X-u', or '^X-r'), then it will perform another
undo or redo, as appropriate. 

So in vile to undo the last three operations I press "u..".  To undo the last 5 operations, then redo the last two undone operations I do "u....u.".  In contrast vim puts redo on a different key binding and doesn't let . apply to undo.  So "xxxu.." in vim/ViEmu deletes three characters, puts one back, then deletes the next two.  In nvi/vile it deletes three characters and then puts them back.

This should be a simple feature which could be turned on or off.

awetmore, thanks for the detailed feedback. Indeed it makes sense to have specific customizable behavior for this type of thing - some people love nvi, others love viw, etc... Since ViEmu users are trying to fully use the skills they gained in the last 10-20 years, this makes total sense for ViEmu.

On the other hand, it's impossible that I will do this all myself - the amount of work is quite unwieldy.

Given this, I'm planning to embed a scripting engine in ViEmu, which will allow customizing this type of behavior. I still have to fully work out the details, but it should allow you to implement behaviors as the one described above quite easily. This is planned for ViEmu 3.0 (it will be a free upgrade for those that bought up to 12 months before its release), and I'm already starting to work with another programmer to try to get this ready in the next few months. Hopefully it will be well worth the wait.

Best regards,

Jon

I use Linux when I can, and there use vim in xterm. On windows I try to use vim in xterm (in cygwin) but often use gvim for convenience and speed (cygwin xterm is slow on my current Windows system and I haven't set up an explorer context menu item for vim in xterm). I have a VS external command for vim but didn't use it much before I found ViEmu and don't use it at all now that I use ViEmu.

Some other programs that I use for similar reasons as I use vim:

For more keyboardy goodness, I use the vimperator addon for firefox and my X11 window manager of choice is ratpoison (I know of no good MS Windows window management keyboard or even tiling control system).

I also use TXMouse for focus-follows-cursor (because of lack of keyboard/tiling window manager) and select-to-copy/middle-click-to-paste. I use a three-button mouse with no wheel (I hate when programs assume users have a mouse wheel--not the ViEmu would do such a thing).

I have tried vimperator, but it seems I prefer to browse using the mouse, or even a laptop's touchpad. I do miss vi editing in Firefox textareas though!!

I think with vimperator I use the mouse and keyboard about equally for following links (I sometimes forget about the keyboard link option and on large pages it's slow to load) but the keyboard more for pretty much all other operations.

With computer interfaces in general I prefer to use the keyboard (whether typing commands or using "shortcut" keys/sequences) but will (reluctantly) reach for the mouse when there doesn't seem to be a better way. I also prefer the vi modal approach over the emacs layers-of-shortcuts method.

Oh, forgot to mention Mozex in my other post! Allows editing Firefox textareas (as well as viewing source and a few other things) in external programs like vim. There are actually several Firefox addons that do the same thing. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be able to (reliably) recognize gmail composition text areas. And I also forget that I have it. Actually I haven't used it in a while and would probably prefer something more like ViEmu (i.e. vim inside of firefox text areas instead of as a manually-invoked external application...I think there was a project to create a vim bonobo widget so it could be embedded in evolution...).

I know about external vim editing from Firefox - I have the "It's All Text!" extension installed, but I don't really use it. It seems I'm more picky on integration than on vi editing after all...

If on Unix (not much, these days): vi
Windows (at work) vi  (from MKS Toolkit) or now, viEmu
WIndows (at home) gVim

Very much gvim in windows. smile

gvim-er with custom macros/functions and the like to customize my environment and speed things up