Re: Can I re-enable copy/paste (Ctrl-c/Ctrl-v) and select (shift-arrow)?

I'm using VS2008 and VS2010 side-by-side with ViEmu in each.  I’m used to being able to use Ctrl-c and Ctrl-v to copy and paste at times (this all works in VS2008).  I also use yank and put, but copy and paste is just handy sometimes.  For instance, I might copy some text and then use shift-down arrow to select a line or two and then paste over the selection.  I don’t often work in visual mode, so I’m guessing that there is something there that would help.

Did I miss something in the blog posts about copy, paste and select in VS2010?  Assuming ViEmu is the culprit, Is this functionality coming back in the future?  I’m also using ReSharper 5.1, VisualSVN, PowerCommands for Visual Studio 2010 and Productivity Power Tools.  However, copy, paste and select functionality returns after I disable ViEmu.

Thanks,

Ray

Ray, in VS2010, you should be able to remap Ctrl-V and Ctrl-C to anything you want in Tools|Options|Keyboard. You can assign them to Edit.Paste and Edit.Copy to get the default, non-ViEmu behavior. The only gotcha is that ViEmu visual range is not the same as VS selection, and that may cause some confusion. We had a mode in ViEmu "Classic" where ViEmu can be made to use VS's selection to display its visual range, with lower emulation fidelity, but better integration. That is not yet ready in ViEmu/VS2010, but we will probably provide it in a future version if it becomes a much-requested feature.

We still have to improve the compatibility with R#, which we plan to do in the next few weeks for version 2.6 (we are hoping we can do the first official release, 2.5, this week).

Regards,

-- Jon

Re: using Studio's selection to display visual range...here's another request for it! I keep it set this way in VS2008 and Sql, and it's driving me a little nuts having them two different things.

I was really happy however to see that ctrl-KC works now to comment a section. If the two selection modes were the same, I wouldn't need the mouse at all to invoke the VS commenter. (ctrl-KK is nice to have now, too.) Of course I could insert and remove slashes with column mode or something but that's not as quick.

It will be there in the next release (2.5.8), out in a few days. It's already implemented and working, the only pending issue is that it's not working fine all of the time when Visual Assist is present too. Oh the woes of 3rd party add-in integration.

I have my CTRL-C/CTRL-V mapped to Edit.Copy and Edit.Paste but am still unable to copy/paste anything.

This is in VS2010.  Anything else I need to flip to get it working?

kingkaeru, can you check what keypresses are assigned to ViEmu.KeypressCtrlC and ViEmu.KeypressCtrlV? It might be that they are mapped to Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V under another scope, which you would need to remove.

Also, please take into account that the ViEmu visual range is not the VS selection, if you want to use VS's copy/paste, you need to select with VS selection. With the current ViEmu, this can only be done with the mouse, shift-arrows, etc... in the next ViEmu/VS2010, it will be possible to configure it so that it uses VS's selection for its visual mode, and thus it will integrate better.

That did it, thanks.

Even though i use Y and P for copy/paste with visual mode, CTRL-C/CTRL-V is still import when I am using the mouse to copy/paste from VS2010 to another application.  Or another application back into Visual studio.

e.g.

Use mouse to highlight text in Visual Studio
Ctrl-C
Switch to Website
Ctrl-V to form on website.

Another example:

See some code in an email
Highlight with mouse and Ctrl-C
Switch to Visual Studio
Ctrl-V to paste into Visual Studio

Thanks for the work so far.  Looking forward to seeing it use VS's selection for visual mode.

Have a look at this tentative new build, should help in this regard:

http://www.viemu.com/ViEmuVS2010-2.5.8.vsix

It's a kind of "beta", unofficial, final release will come later this week. But it already includes support to use VS's selection for ViEmu's visual range (activate it in ViEmu|ViEmu settings).

Jon_Symnum wrote:

Have a look at this tentative new build, should help in this regard:

http://www.viemu.com/ViEmuVS2010-2.5.8.vsix

It's a kind of "beta", unofficial, final release will come later this week. But it already includes support to use VS's selection for ViEmu's visual range (activate it in ViEmu|ViEmu settings).

Just noticed you comment about the VS's selection for ViEmu's visual range. I will be ecstatic and overjoyed when this feature is finished. Downloading and testing the beta now!

Glad to hear that! We're finishing 2.5.9 which we plan to release officially later this week, with this aspect fully working (hopefully!).

HUGE thank you for explaining how to restore ctrl-c and ctrl-v, for posting 2.5.8, and for continuing work on VS selection mode.  I can't explain to you how much better my life has become after reading this thread.

Unbinding:

ViEmu.KeypressCtrlC
ViEmu.KeypressCtrlV

In Tools > Options > Keyboard worked for me, along with 2.5.8 and use visual studio selection.

Best thing eva.

HaterTot, thanks for the kind comment. Silasdavis, thanks for the extra help. We hope ViEmu/VS2010 will be the best ViEmu eva, even if it's taking us a bit of time!

Regards,

-- Jon

Sorry. I am not able to get this to work. I am using 2.5.8. I have turned on VS selection for VS mode. In keyboard bindings, I selected Edit.Copy and Edit.Paste for Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V respectively and clicked "assign".

However I don't see them working.

Am I missing something ?

Any help is appreciated thanks. I really loved the use of Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V in VS 2008.

Thanks to silasdavis for the hint...

I searched for ViEmu.KeypressCtrl and then just used the down arrow to move through the list and alt+r to unbind each ctrl binding I found. I can't cope without for the moment!