Re: I only show up to complain

Just kidding !  Viemu has made me actually able to use Visual Studio.

But I do have an issue that's been bugging me.  The status line that viemu shows when you are typing a command (/ search for example) conflicts with intellinonsense a lot. So frequently, I can't see what the heck I'm typing.

Is it possible to move this status output to some other location ? Maybe in the middle of the bottom status bar ?

thanks !

Thanks for the compliment. I was a bit scared after reading the headline, though.

I don't understand very well what you mean by "Intellisense conflict" - as far as I know, Intellisense appears only in a drop down box below where the cursor is. It would be good to know exactly what you are expecting to see at the status line.

But in any case, I understand the complaint about obscuring the status line. In ViEmu for Word and Outlook I couldn't use the status line for this purpose (caused all sorts of problems, flickering, etc...), so there is an additional window at the bottom of the editing window. I plan to bring this "technology" to a future version of ViEmu/Visual Studio (and SQL Server), it will probably be configurable with a user setting. I hope that will fix it for you.

BTW, there's no way to put the output in the middle of the status bar or anywhere else. You give VS the string, it shows it - that's all the configurability there is.

Regards,

Jon

I guess you're right in that it is a general issue. It most frequently bugs me when it displays "Updating Intellisense" in the middle of my typing.

your future fix sounds like the ticket, though.

thanks!

Noted for future implementation - I'll let you know when it's ready (it'll take some time, though).

Cheers,

Jon

I second this fix. Just to let you know that there are others who feel this pain. Nothing worse than working through a complex regex and having it flicker in an out with something like "VA X building syntax files"

Afton.

Afton, thanks for the feedback. Yes, knowing that others want this is very useful when prioritizing the features/requests. I'll make sure to have something like this in the near future, as I bring in other improvements developed for the Word & Outlook version.

Hmm. At the risk of seeming troublesome, I wanted to point out that the new bar in ViEmu for Word/Outlook is not without problems. When my cursor is obsured by this line, the page moving formula for Word means that 1/3 of the time, my cursor is obscured. I don't know if you have access to this behaviour in word, but it is a pain having to manually recenter the cursor. I'm not sure which I'd prefer, having to manually recenter, or dealing with the disappearing status line.

Let me know if this is unclear and I"ll take another run at explaining it.

Afton.

Yes, thanks for pointing it out. I know the current status bar has its own issues. I plan to address them somehow in a future version - it's pretty difficult in the Word/Outlook environment because of the limited I access for 3rd party addins. Some of these fixes will be simple enough in the VS and SQL environment, as it's richer.

I'm also in favor of this change. I'd love to see it implemented in a dockable toolbar with a history combobox and auto-completion. It wouldn't surprise me if that's what you have in mind already. smile

I was thinking more of an overlay on the bottom part of the editing window, making sure somehow that the cursor/interest area doesn't end up mapped there. The reason is that, that way, you get the command entry right below your current editing window, instead of at the bottom, even if you have your editor split in two and may be editing at the top one.

Autocompletion is indeed an oft-demanded feature and it's planned for a future version.

I've added auto-scrolling when the cursor is detected below the status bar in ViEmu/WO 1.0.16, not scrollof, but it helps:

http://www.viemu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=182

Another vote for adding a separate ViEmu bar. With Visual Assist X installed, I cannot see the ViEmu command-line most of the time, because VAX reparses the file whenever you finish a typing burst, and uses the status bar for notification. So, most of the time the status bar is telling me VAX is "Ready!" smile

Mhaggag, that wil definitely be there in a future version. I apologize because it'll take some time until it's ready.

Regards,

Jon