Re: Ctrl+... commands in Vim/ViEmu

All Vim tutorials that I've found, including your graphical cheatsheet, focus on what you can do without using modifier keys. This is sensible, since this is what makes Vim special. But in ViEmu, in particular, all conflict with the standard keybindings (and with Resharper) comes from Ctrl+something. So I think it would be useful to include those in the cheatsheet.

http://www.viemu.com/viemu_doc.html#input_model does list them, but it isn't nearly as convenient and easy to find keys there.

Hi Alexey,

You are right, the explanation is that the thought behind the cheat sheet was to provide an easy learning curve for newcomers to vi - and for that it's better to leave out as much as possible. I didn't want to have an extra map with Ctrl- keys, with g<something> commands, with z<something> commands, etc...

I wanted it to give the feeling of 'achievable', for which I felt the simple graphical map with two functions per key was critical. The goal was to bring as many programmers to vi-editing as possible smile (ViEmu, vim or otherwise, although the added exposure for ViEmu was very welcome of course).

I'll take note of your suggestion for the future, in case I decide to do a version 2, or something along the line!

And btw, in ViEmu 3.0, now in development, I plan to revamp the keypress interception scheme, so that it will be much easier to avoid clashes and to solve them when they arise (the system will be similar to that in ViEmu/Word&Outlook, which is much more manageable).

Regards,

- Jon

admin wrote:

Hi Alexey,
And btw, in ViEmu 3.0, now in development, I plan to revamp the keypress interception scheme, so that it will be much easier to avoid clashes and to solve them when they arise (the system will be similar to that in ViEmu/Word&Outlook, which is much more manageable).
  - Jon

Very good news! I don't actually know what system this is, since, happily, I no longer have to work with Word, but a cleaner binding system would be very welcome. If it can be made discoverable from within VS this wouldn't hurt, either.

Also, http://www.viemu.com/viemu_doc.html#input_model says Ctrl-P and Ctrl-N should go to soft bol of previous/next line (in all modes?). Instead for me they worked as k and j in the normal mode, and as Ctrl-Space completion in the insert mode.

I have currently given the shortcuts back to ReSharper, since they are not particularly useful to me, but you may want to look into it. The ViEmu version used is 2.1.23.

Alexey, I will have a look at Ctrl-P/Ctrl-N. I'm not sure whether the implementation or the documentation are wrong. Ctrl-P/Ctrl-N in insert mode should trigger Intellisense autocompletion, and I have them mapped to up/down in ex/find command line mode to access history without moving away from front row, but I think they don't have a default behavior at all.

The keybinding system will be much cleaner in 3.0. I'm not too sure about discoverability though, as I can't see a good way to do it without a huge effort. Indeed a nicer, more intuitive and discoverable vi mode is something I'd love to provide, and I'm planning this for the future, but it's a long way from being ready, as it will be based in some new technology I'm working on.

Regards,

- Jon

Alexey, it was indeed a "bug" in the docuementation. In vim, Ctrl-P and Ctrl-N are the same as k and j (up and down), so ViEmu was properly implemented, but wrongly documented. I've fixed the docs and they will make their way into the next build.

Thanks!

- Jon