Re: Suddenly stopped working :-(

I've just loaded up Visual Studio and ViEmu is no longer working.  It's acting as if I've not got it installed (even though it's enabled in the properties).  It's making me wonder how I lived without it! :-)  I'm only using the evaluation copy at the moment (as I'm waiting for my employer to buy a licence).  But the evaluation period shouldn't have run out yet (and I've had no popups telling me this is the problem).

Any ideas?

You would have gotten a pop up alerting of the trial period expiry, a few days before expiry even. Maybe you have pressed Ctrl-Shift-Alt-V inadvertedly? This would have disabled it. Pressing it again would toggle it back on (although this 'disabled' state is not persistent between sessions).

Does Tools|Options|ViEmu show the settings dialog? That would guarantee it's installed and loaded, it would then be a matter of seeing why it's not intercepting text editor windows.

Is it possible that you installed some other add-in? Can you go to Help|About, copy the contents there, and paste them back here? That could help diagnose the issue.

Regards,

-- Jon

It seems to work on some projects but not all (all are standard C++ win32 projects).  Regardless of whether it's working or not, the Tools|Options|ViEmu settings dialog does exist, and the enable viemu tickbox is alway ticked.  Pressing Ctrl-Shift-Alt-V makes no difference.

Below is the paste from Help|About.  Note that I've not changed any addons since it stopped working.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Version 8.0.50727.762  (SP.050727-7600)
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 2.0.50727 SP1

Installed Edition: Professional

Microsoft Visual C# 2005
Microsoft Visual C# 2005

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005

Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005
Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005
Version 8.0.50727.762

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB926601)   
This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926601

NGEDIT Software's ViEmu   v2.2.6
ViEmu 2.2 - vi/vim editor emulation for Microsoft(TM) Visual Studio(TM)
(c) 2005-2008 NGEDIT Software (www.ngedit.com)

Visual Assist X   
For more information about Visual Assist X, see the Whole Tomato Software website at http://www.WholeTomato.com. Copyright (c) 1997-2008 Whole Tomato Software, Inc.

Xbox 360 Extensions for Visual Studio   2.0.6534.0
The Xbox 360 Extensions for Visual Studio add the ability to develop, build, debug and deploy game projects for Microsoft Xbox 360.  Version 2.0.6534.0

Xoreax IncrediBuild   3.30 (build 892)
Xoreax IncrediBuild 3.30 (build 892)

ProDG VSI
ProDG Visual Studio Integration
Version 1.7.11
Copyright © 2003-2008 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. / SN Systems Limited
See http://www.snsys.com

I reinstall of viEmu seemed to sort it.  Sorry, should really have tried that before posting on here.

Glad to hear it!

On reviewing the list above, I would say that Visual Assist was the most likely candidate to creating some trouble, but I'm not very familiar with the last two (IncrediBuild & the PS development environment).

In any case, let me know if it re-surfaces and we can try to investigate in more detail.

Regards,

-- Jon