Re: Insert Mode ctrl-o

Does ViEmu support ctrl-o in Insert mode? (This is to execute Normal mode commands quickly from Insert mode. Vi docs 24.10).

- Justin

No it doesn't, sorry. I'm taking note of the request. For many reasons, several of them involving integration with VS / SQLServer / Word&Outlook, this is a pretty complex thing, so it's not likely to make an appearance soon.

On the other hand, most of the times I've seen i_Ctrl-O requested it was because someone was using vi/vim editing incorrectly (or at least in a less-than-optimal way), staying too long in insert mode. I apologize if that's not the case now, but maybe you could explain the use-case where you miss it and I'd try to understand it?

Regards,

-- Jon

Thanks for the reply, Jon. I can imagine that implementing i_Ctrl-O wouldn't be easy, I was mostly checking to see if I had missed it in the ViEmu documentation.

I was trying to do something like <C-o>E instead of <Esc>Ei. So at least in this case, not having i_Ctrl-O is no big deal. Definitely not a high priority request. smile

Justin

Thanks for being so understanding Justin.

The reason I never want to do a <C-o>E is that I never stay in insert mode beyond the strictly necessary time. I hit Esc almost automatically after typing whatever I was trying to type. Thus, in your case, I'd go <Esc> and then think what next, then "Ei".

Out of thousands of ViEmu users, only three or four people have ever requested this feature, so I concluded hardly anyone uses it, which made it a non-priority

Regards,

-- Jon

Jon_Symnum wrote:

maybe you could explain the use-case where you miss it

Recording a macro that leaves you in insert mode. You can't do this without <ctrl-o>q.

Jon_Symnum wrote:

Out of thousands of ViEmu users, only three or four people have ever requested this feature percent ever post on these forums

VsVim covers the basics. I look to ViEmu to take care of power users.

Last edited by Eric Tetz (2013-10-20 16:29:11)