Re: ViEmu and the keyboard mapping for VS2005

Hello,

I have installed the trial version of ViEmu with a VS2003 and VS2005 installed on the pc.
When I start VS2003 I find the keyboard mapping for ViEmu and all keys especially CRTL-D
and CRTL-U are working as expected. So everything is ok.
When I start VS2005 there is no keyboard mapping file in the keyboard menu (options ..).
So CRTL-D and CRTL-U does not work.
Copying the ViEmu.vsk file to the appropriate VS2005 folder also does not work. VS2005
is coming up with an error message when I try to load the vsk file.

I'm sorry to ask such a basic question, but I did not found a suitable answer in the forum
or somewhere on the net.

Can sombody help me to get it work ?

Hello,

The reason for the difference is that keyboard schemes work differently in VS.NET 2003 and VS2005.

In VS.NET 2003, "stock" keyboard schemes are read-only. That's the reason ViEmu creates a new "ViEmu.vsk" scheme, based in the previously active scheme, and removes the clashing keybindings from that one.

In VS2005, all keyboard schemes are writeable. As a side note, the only way to restore them to their default values is to use 'reset settings' in Tools|Import & Export Settings. Thus, ViEmu does not create (and actually can't) an extra scheme.

You'd better remove the .vsk file from the VS2005 folder, it can only confuse Visual Studio.

In VS2005, go to Tools|Options|ViEmu->Keyboard. What do both lists show? If Ctrl-D and Ctrl-U assignments are shown as clashing, you should be able to follow the instructions in the documentation (sections 3.2 and 3.3) to configure it to your liking.

Here's a direct link to the relevant documentation:

http://www.viemu.com/viemu_doc.html#keybindings

But be sure to let me know if you need help with that.

Best regards,

Jon

Many thank for the answer within such a short time.

When I open the keyboard management tool, both lists are empty. Only the clashing
bindings are shown as in the document.

kind regards

Roland

PS. I forgot to tell that the VS2005 is in german.

Last edited by rhs (2006-10-01 21:42:01)

Ok, now I know what is happening. I recently added Japanese support at the request of a user, but German hasn't been added yet. I need the names German VS2005 uses for "Text Editor" and "Global" in keybindings. You can check them in Tools|Options|Keyboard, by selecting any command, and seeing what "context" is shown for its keybindings (it appears between parentheses after the key name, in the keybinding dropdown box).

If you are so kind to provide me with those strings, I will prepare a new build with German support added.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to do this in a language-independent fashion.

Best regards,

Jon

Hello Jon

the german names for Text-Editor and Global are the same a the english ones.
In some keybindings the word Global is set into parantheses and in other
cases the word Text-Editor is set into parantheses.

german names are used tor the key names  and in the combo box which lists the
commands

best regards

Roland

Roland,

Could I get a screenshot or two of your Tools|Options|Keyboard dialog, showing the german key names and contexts? Maybe it's using 'Strg' for 'Ctrl' (if my memory serves right, I hardly speak any German).

Thanks,

Jon

Hallo Jon

I'm sorry. but it was very late yesterday to give you the requested info.

Yes, you are right with your assumtion with the names of the keys itself.

The crtl-key ist named Strg

Can you tell me how to pass the screenshots to you?

Thanks

Roland

Roland, please send them to support@ngedit.com and I'll implement the behavior as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Jon

Roland, thanks for sending the screenshots. Indeed, "Text Editor" in the German version is spelled "Text-Editor" with a hyphen, so that also needed consideration. I have uploaded 2.0.31 with support for German keybindings:

http://www.viemu.com/ViEmu-2.0.31.msi

Since you have already installed it and run it before, you'll need to go into Tools|Options|ViEmu->Keyboard, and do a manual "Save & Remove" keybinding rescan.

Let me know if something doesn't work right.

Best regards,

Jon

Hello Jon

Thank you very much for your fast response and the solution. You are right,
I was a little bit carelessly when I check the spelling of the german text in
comparison to the english one.

I am really happy with your solution and hey, now I can work with the vi in VS2005 :-))
I've missed this editor so long and I never thougt that it would be available in visual studio
including intellisense and all that nice features.

I have deinstalled the previous version and after a reboot I installed the new
one. The first time I started VS2005 a dialog comes up with the question

Clashing keybindings found, do you want to open the ViEmu keyboard manager ?

I do the settings as it is described in the documentation and it work fine. I think, this
ok, isn't it.

So once again, many thanks (and meanwhile I ordered ViEmu to start working with
a regular version)

Roland

Yes, that is ok - everything should be fine now. Let me know if something doesn't work as expected.

And thanks for ordering ViEmu! (The trial version is only limited in time, so the user experience is the same).

Best regards,

Jon