Re: Trouble installing...

Hello,

I am trying to install ViEmu.  After the installer starts, I get the message "Visual Studio .NET 2002, 2003 or Visual Studio 2005 should be installed."

VisStudio 2005 is installed -- what's going wrong?

TIA.

Hello,

Is it possible that you have an Express edition of Visual Studio? That would possibly explain it.

The way the installer checks for the presence of Visual Studio is through the Windows Installer database (a standard procedure). You can check the presence manually in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components

There should be an entry with the name "096BD02397975104DB871AD6279740B3" in this folder (maybe the S-1-5-18 is a bit different, I'm not sure whether that part is machine specific).

The installer also looks at the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Setup\VS

Both registry entries should be present.

Let me know what there is in those locations. It's the first time there has been a problem with this concrete functionality of the installer, so I can't imagine what the problem can be.

Regards,

Jon

Thanks for the reply.

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components there is no entry "096BD02397975104DB871AD6279740B3".

The "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Setup\VS" key is present.

I have the Professional Edition installed, not the Express edition.

Could the fix be as simple as adding the key to 5-1-5-18?

Number8 wrote:

Could the fix be as simple as adding the key to 5-1-5-18?

Nope.  Does the key merely need to be present, or does it have to have certain values?

Can you search the 'Components' key to see whether any key contains "msenvmnu.dll" as a substring? The actual contents in my case are the following:

-----------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\096BD02397975104DB871AD6279740B3]
"0E8BA73496BF22242B086AF4D32E5219"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\Common7\\IDE\\msenvmnu.dll"

If you save the piece above as a .reg file and double-click it, you will add the contents to the registry.

As you can see, this references another of these weird hex keys (they are actually weirdly byte-swapped GUIDs, I have no idea why the Windows Installer stores them that way). Here are the contents of the secondary key:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\0E8BA73496BF22242B086AF4D32E5219]
"0E8BA73496BF22242B086AF4D32E5219"="02:\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\DevDiv\\VS\\Servicing\\8.0\\PRO\\1033\\Install"

You can also import this one if you want. I'm not sure this will help, as the internal Windows Installer database might be pretty complex.

In any case, please search for "msenvmnu.dll" using regedit, and that could show under what other name this could be hiding. Then we can "decode" the GUID and try to understand what's happening.

Maybe you are using a localized build of Visual Studio? Or a build which is special in some other way?

Regards,

Jon

Didn't find msenvmnu.dll under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components.

As far as I know, I have an ordinary English VisStudio 2005 Pro installation; I dl'd the iso from MSDN.

I'll try adding the info you provided, and let you know what happens.

Thanks.

UPDATE:  Added both of keys you posted, and the install still fails.

Last edited by Number8 (2007-07-12 16:46:48)

Ok, I've just prepared and uploaded a build with an installer that doesn't check for the condition. Here is the link to download it:

http://www.viemu.com/ViEmuVS-2.1.13-NoCheck.msi

Let me know how that works.

Regards,

Jon

Thank you, that worked as expected.

Great. Really weird case but I'm glad it's now ok.