Re: New product: Codekana 1.0 released

I've just officially released Codekana 1.0. As posted earlier, it provides advanced C/C++/C# code visualization in Visual Studio. Check the website for a proper presentation, screenshots, detailed feature descriptions, and to download the free 30-day trial:

http://www.codekana.com

I will be sending out a link to buy at a discounted price to all existing ViEmu customers.

More details about the release in the blog announcement:

http://blog.ngedit.com/2007/07/24/codekana-10-released/

Regards,

- Jon

Where is the codekana forum =0)

Anyway my first small gripe is that the cursor and cursor line highlighting disappears when focus is lost on the window.  The whole point of this to me is so that I can find my tiny cursor on my large monitor when switching back and forth between windows.  I would like the cursor to still be visible when my focus is on the solution explorer window for example.  Up until now I have used a free plugin from SlickEdit and I would be very happy to dump there plugin.

Otherwise this looks really promising.  Thanks for the effort.

David

Hi David,

There will be a Codekana forum at some point. I prefer to wait until there are a few users, as I don't like the 'empty forum' effect, and do support directly by email. I'm also thinking about setting up specific ViEmu and Codekana blogs for product related news, details, tips, trivia, and other interesting content.

I understand your point. I've noted it for one of the next builds and hopefully it won't be too difficult to find a better compromise.

Regards,

Jon

My searches are not being highlighted at all, I initially installed codekana on a clean VS2005 install and got a warning about installing sp1 to see highlighting.  But even after installing sp1 and reinstalling codekana I get no highlighting. 
I like the Idea of find in file giving the same search highlighting I have come to expect from viemu, and look forward to trying it out.

thanks,
  David

My sys info:
-----------------------------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Version 8.0.50727.762  (SP.050727-7600)
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 2.0.50727

Installed Edition: Standard

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005   77633-235-1540146-41275
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005

Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005   77633-235-1540146-41275
Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005
Version 8.0.50727.762

Codekana for Visual Studio   v1.0.1
codekana 1.0.1 - Advanced Code Visualization for Microsoft Visual Studio
(c) 2005-2007 NGEDIT Software (www.ngedit.com)

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB926601)   
This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926601

NGEDIT Software's ViEmu   v2.1.13
ViEmu 2.1 - vi/vim editor emulation for Microsoft(TM) Visual Studio(TM)
(c) 2005-2006 NGEDIT Software (www.ngedit.com)

David,

Can you go to Tools|Codekana Settings, click 'Reset' and then click 'Apply'? The problem might be due to the color configuration framework being somewhat buggy in Visual Studio, and it is sometimes fixed with the previous step. If not, can you go to Tools|Options|Fonts and Colors, and try to just click 'Ok', or possibly adjust the configuration of the "Codekana - HLSearch" marker and then clicking 'Ok'?

Let me know if you get any result that way, else, I will suggest other things that may fix it.

Regards,

Jon

Sorry that had no effect. 

On a side note I notice a small bug in viemu: When searching for an element (using * in this case) so a keyword is highlighted yellow, turning off viemu (with ctrl-alt-shift-v) does not turn off the yellow highlight.  Is it possible that codekana and viemu are in conflict with each other?

David

Hmmm... let me think about what it may be, I'll get back to you tomorrow. Yes, ViEmu doesn't remove highlighting when deactivated - but that can't be the cause of the problem.

I'm following up by email to try to gain more info...

Hi Jon.

Well this is quite nice. I was a little underwhelmed at first (code highlighting? *everyone* has that don't they?) but after using it a bit I found that I liked the paren-matching with line better than I thought I would, and the ease with which you can change font-size makes me actually use it. And frankly, it's about time someone made it easy to switch between .h and .cpp files as easily as in vim!

Afton.

Thanks Afton! This is just a start, but I think there are many things that can be done in code visualization. I've gotten accustomed to Codekana-style visualization myself and now I'd really miss not having control-flow color-cues.

I also added a few related goodies which I missed myself, some remarks sent by users, and I'll keep on doing so over the next builds.

Thanks,

Jon

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for Codekana comments, but since you mentioned control-flow cues, I'd like to add an enhancement request - I'd like to be able to disable brace-matching for structural control (namespaces, classes, structs, etc.) separately from brace-matching for control-flow (if, while, try, etc).

I find that I'm not too interested in structure braces so much and the lines for them clutter up the screen.  Mismatched structural braces nearly always result in compile time errors,so if I screw up it gets fixed right away anyway.

On the other hand, control flow brace mismatches are much more interesting; a misplaced brace there may result in syntactically correct code that has incorrect logic.

Hi, yes, this is a good place while the Codekana forum is not set up.

Thank you for the suggestion, I think it is a very good idea. I think the settings for outlines should then be:

[ ] Outline structural brace blocks
  [ ] Outline control-flow brace blocks
  [ ] Outline parentheses blocks

Instead of just the current two 'braces' and 'parentheses' ones. Do you agree that's the best way to provide this feature?

Regards,

Jon

That should do the trick for me.

Ok, thanks!

BTW, I've already implemented the outlines settings as described above in Codekana 1.1. Here are the other changes and improvements in 1.1, released last week:

- Optimized outline rendering

- Made cursor/insertion point more easily visible when on top of outlines (they are now clipped against the cursor)

- Separate settings to enable/disable 'structural' and 'control-flow' block outlines

- Intensity slider in settings dialog now shows the current value as a percentage

- VS2005 SP1 warning includes a clickable link to MS's SP1 download page (only appears if you have VS2005 w/o SP1 installed)

- Zoom commands are now available in the 'View' menu and using a user-configurable shortcut key (by default, Ctrl-Shift-Alt-Keypad+ and -)

- .NET Property definitions now highlighted in both C++ and C#

- System-default marker colors in VS2005 made to coincide with 'custom' defaults

- Switch h/cpp added to context menu too

- Coloring of 'transparent background' markers configured to cause less problems with VS2005

- Parentheses/braces rematching fixed in some occasions

- Fixed rare VS freeze with Find in Files and search highlighting interaction

Thanks - I've installed 1.1 and disabling the structural brace matching improves the display  (for me).

Thanks for the update.

You're welcome Michael. I thought you'd haave received the email announcement about it a few days ago? Just to be sure...

Regards,

- Jon

admin wrote:

You're welcome Michael. I thought you'd have received the email announcement about it a few days ago? Just to be sure...

Hmm...  No, I did not notice an announcement email.  It may have been routed to my spam folder, but I've dumped that recently so I can't check.  I actually noticed the announcement on Gunderloy's Larkware News, but didn't update until a few days later.

Ah ok, I know what it might be. I understand you aren't a ViEmu customer or ever registered to subscribe to the announcement mailing list, so your address was not included in the list. I will add you (announcements are few and far between, so they should be more useful than annoying). Let me know if you want me to remove the address at any point.

Thanks,

- Jon