Re: column select/delete

i'm new to viemu, and while i don't have a problem using ctrl-v to column select (after telling visstudio that i don't want that to be 'paste'), and i can insert in front of the column with Shift+I, as in vim, i'm unable to do column delete.  if i have a block of code commented with single ticks in front of them, is there a way, aside from visual search and replace, to column select all the ticks and delete them?

thanks

If you use Ctrl-V or Ctrl-Q to enter visual block mode, and select a range, you can key in any operator directly and it will be applied to the range. Here are some samples:

d  Deletes the block (and copies it to the default register for later pasting)
  y  Yanks the block (copies to the default register)
  gU Makes all characters uppercase
  gu Makes all characters lowercase
  ~  Toggles the case of all characters
  c  Change - deletes the region, enters insert mode, and then repeats the string input in all lines (if we were initially in block visual mode)
  etc...

The docs have a complete list of ViEmu-supported operators.

'x' also works to delete a visual region.

Let me know if I misunderstood the question or if you need any extra clarification.

Regards,

Jon

no, you understood it correctly. i might be doing something wrong, but i'll give you an example i just tested:

with this code in vb.net, vs2005:

If test = True Then
                test = False
            ElseIf test = False Then
                test = True
            End If

it's indented by visual studio, which may or may not have some bearing on this.

if i do a column select of the first column with ctrl-v, and then do Shift-I, ', ESC, I would expect all lines to be prepended with a single quote.  this does not quite happen - all the lines get the single quote prepended, except for the end if, which gets the single quote immediately before the word "If".

so I go to the beginning of that line and manually prepend a single quote.  now it looks like this:

'If test = True Then
            '    test = False
            'ElseIf test = False Then
            'test = True
            'End 'If

if i column select the first column of all single quotes and hit 'x', this is what i get:

If test = True Then
                '    test = False
                'ElseIf test = False Then
                'test = True
                'End 'If

it only appears to get rid of the first character on the first line.  i hope that example was clear, but please let me know if i can provide any more information

Now I think I know what it might be. The Visual Basic language service is notoriously tricky, with its autoindent and autoformatting, and it might easily be interfering into ViEmu's operations. I can't today (it's 10pm here now), but I'll have a look at it tomorrow and get back to you. Hopefully, I will be able to fix this by ensuring VB doesn't get in the way, and upload a new build. I have to investigate more though.

Regards,

Jon

thanks much smile

In case anyone else is reading, we followed up by email and I fixed it in ViEmu/VS 2.1.14. Later versions have the fixed behavior, more details and links to download here:

http://www.viemu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=182