Re: Invisible cursor on the first line of an empty file

I am not sure if anybody has reported this before ( a few quick searches didn't yield anything).  It is really a minor annoyance in the otherwise great product.  I've been using ViEmu for months now and am really happy with it - Thanks.  Anyway, I noticed that in VS 2003 (V7.1) whenever I create a new file I don't see the cursor until I create 2 or more lines (they may be empty).  All the commands work fine on the first line, I just don't see the cursor until the second line is created.   I don't remember seeing this issue in VS 2005, but may be I never created a clean file in it (I'll check later).   Again, it is not a big deal but I thought I'd mention it.

Last edited by zveroboy (2007-08-08 19:11:56)

You're right, this happens with VS.NET 2003. It's actually a VS.NET 2003 error, corrected in VS2005 - there is no caret in 1-line buffers. But it's not ViEmu-specific - it happens if you don't even have ViEmu installed, the caret will not appear. There is no way that ViEmu can fix that buggy VS behavior. I spent a few hours myself investigating it a few months ago, thinking ViEmu must have been the culprit, until I realized that it was a VS problem. In the end, as you say, it's just a minor annoyance (how many 1-line files do we use in the end?), so I think it's no big deal.

Regards and thanks for the kind comment,

Jon

Jon, thank you.  You are right - it is not a big deal at all. - I just thought, I'd mention it.   To date I have zero 1-line files smile.   Besides, pretty soon, I'll completely switch to VS2005.  I wish you had a VI plug-in for Eclipse (or know of one) then I could dump windows all together smile.

Yes, I only stumbled into the issue when creating a new file with "File->New" from VS, as this starts with just one line, but it's indeed no big deal. I didn't notice it until many versions into ViEmu, and this is actually the first report.

There actually is a vi plug-in for Eclipse:

http://satokar.com/viplugin/

I haven't tried it out, so I can't vouch for its quality, but at least it looks like a start.

Hey, thanks for the tip.  I'll check it out.

You're welcome. It would be good to hear a first-hand account of how good it is (I've never used Eclipse myself).

I used this plugin for a couple of years before my current stint in an MS-centric shop. By the time that I left the eclipse world, it was getting pretty good.

Thanks for the info. vi emulators require a large number of people using it and reporting back, as the feature set is so big. ViEmu 1.0 was quite basic too, and I started *really* learning vi/vim after releasing it smile