Re: Codekana feature suggestion

I'm not sure if this is something that Codekana could do (or even should do), but it drives me crazy that VS 2005 places the tab for newly opened files on the left, when pretty much everything else that has something like a tabbed document interface puts new tabs on the right.  I find it very disorienting.

If 'kana could fix this, I'd be immensely grateful.

Last edited by mwb1100 (2007-08-20 16:19:53)

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately, VS doesn't expose any interface to access the ordering of tabs. Even if there is UI to rearrange tabs by dragging and dropping it, there isn't any programmatic way to access it. I investigated this area a few months ago, as some customers asked about features related to this, and there wasn't any way to access the information - neither configurable commands nor any internal interfaces.

There is a tool that actually changes the behavior of the tabs, called VSTabs:

http://zero-one-zero.com/vs/

But what this tool does (source code is available) is it overrides VS's own tabs window, and implements its completely different behavior. As you can see, it doesn't change VS's internal behavior, it just stamps its own graphics and behavior on top of it. The main goal for that tool is to group cpp and h files together, but it could be modified to anything that suits you.

Thanks for sending the suggestion anyway, I would add an option for this if it were doable.

Best regards,

Jon

[ps: I assumed you meant you'd like new tabs to go to the *right*]

Thanks for the pointer; I'll check it out.

Oh, and you're correct about me meaning right, not left.  I've edited the message.