Re: Deactivating/activating intellisense

Is there a way to activate/deactivate intellisense using viemu?
Regards

Hi, Intellisense is actually 'courtesy' of the underlying Visual Studio. It shouldn't really interfere with the actual typing (ie, it will only pop up a listbox) unless you  press Ctrl-Space, or, with ViEmu, Ctrl-N or Ctrl-P.

Ctrl-N and Ctrl-P can be made to not do anything with ViEmu, or do something else. You can also remove VS's assignment of Ctrl-Space.

Can you describe the reason you're seeking to disable it? It might suggest me some way to achieve it.

Regards,

Jon

The main problem of intellisense is that it needs a lot of CPU.
With very big projects, if you edit headers, it starts in background rebuilding its database and freeze Visual Studio after each character you enter.

The optimal enhancement would be to deactivate it and to have the possibility to start rebuilding the database using a viemu command.

Hi friseb,

Now I understand. Unfortunately, as far as I know, you can't really turn it on and off at will. The language service, which provides autoindent, syntax coloring, etc... also provides Intellisense. And it's statically enabled for all files in the project.

What version of VS are you using? VS2005 is known to cause more problems than others. If you haven't yet, I suggest installing SP1 in this case, as it's supposed to improve Intellisense performance.

Failing that, I'm at a loss at how I could provide such a feature.

Thanks,

- Jon

The Visual C++ team has recently released a patch the addresses some Intellisense performance issues (the patch requires VS 2005 SP1):

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=9436

They have also posted a blog entry with some macros to control Intellisense (the macros require the above patch or VS 2008 - just released!):

http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/archive/2007/11/19/controlling-intellisense-through-macros.aspx

Michael, thanks a lot for the detailed info! I was not aware of that QFE. It should help friseb resolve his problem.

Well,
it is a pain to install this macros, and I think that it would be better that Viemu support this functions.
Regards

friseb, I understand that using macros is a pain, but I don't think it really fits inside ViEmu - ViEmu is really about vi/vim emulation. I may give a thought to implementing some UI in Codekana, where it could actually make sense (Codekana provides a line-up of various assorted VS-enhancement features, mainly targeted towards code visualization, but covering different areas in any case).

Thanks,

- Jon

Well, I consider that intellisense is like cscope or ctags support in vim.
That's why I think that this should be part of viemu.
Regards

You can disable C++ intellisense (which is the major cause of the CPU headache) by renaming (or deleting) feacp.dll in your VS directory.

Thanks Matt for the concise advice!