Re: XML strangeness

Running vs2k5 sp1 on Vista. ViEmu 2.1.17. Visual Assist build 10.4.1624. Almost everything works when navigating an XML file in normal mode, except the Enter key. J works just fine, Enter does nothing. C# files are fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

- Kirk

Hmmm... I think I've seen something like this in the past. It's kind of a mistery, and it seems it can be solved tweaking things around. Someone got it to work by disabling/reenabling Visual Assist:

http://www.viemu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=89

Can you verify whether that helps? Maybe uninstalling Visual Assist, starting VS to force cleanup, and installing it back could help too. Reinstalling ViEmu may also help (the order of 3rd party add-in installation seems to affect things, even if it shouldn't).

Input dispatch in Visual Studio is quite messy, there is no "official" key hooking mechanism and all 3rd party add-ins have to resort to window subclassing, which can result in some weird results at times.

Let me know if any of that helps.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled both of them, to no avail. Also happens in vs2k8, I just validated.

Not a major deal. Thanks for the suggestions!

- Kirk

I do think it's pretty major! I'm using Visual Assist now myself too and I'm not having that problem. Can you check the assignments of the Return key in Tools|Options|Environment|Keyboard and post them here?

Also, can you go to Help|About, copy the info, and post it here? In case there maybe something else...

Well, it definitely works fine when VA is disabled - both in vs2k5 and vs2k8. Are you testing with their latest build, 1624?

The only other strange things I have installed are Vista SP1 RC, and the latest Intellisense hotfix for vs2k5, but that wouldn't affect 2k8.

Oh, I'm running Codekana 1.1.3, but that wouldn't be an issue, of course!

- Kirk

I'm using VA 1619, I'll test with the latest one. Codekana shouldn't cause any additional issue, as it doesn't do anything with keypresses. I'll test later today, or possibly tomorrow, and let you know.

Any update on this issue? I'm still having to temporarily disable VA when editing XML files. (yup, guess who wins when there's a conflict?)

Thanks!

Hello Kirk. My apologies, I haven't been able to look at this yet. I will try to cram it somewhere over the next few days and get back to you.

Regards,

Jon

Just a bump to see if there's any update on this issue.

Thanks,

- Kirk

Hi Kirkus,

No update yet. I'll put this first on the priority list and look at this tomorrow (it's 10.30pm here already and I can't look at it now).

Apologies for the long response time. It's been a few busy weeks. On the bright side, part of the reason is that I'm looking for some help with ViEmu coding and that takes time.

Regards,

Jon

Hi Kirk,

I just tried it and I've been able to reproduce the problem. ViEmu/VS 2.1.22, Visual Assist X 10.4.1624.0 (built on 2007.12.07), it happens on VS 2005, VS 2008 and even VS.NET 2003: <return> just does nothing in normal mode (it seems that VS is doing some selection flash underneath, but no effect).

It's very likely an interaction with the VS built-in XML language service. I'll try to debug it today and hopefully find a work-around.

Apologies for the long time it's taking me to fix this, and best regards,

Jon

Still happening with 2.1.26 and VA 10.4.1640, just checking to see if there's been any progress.

Thanks,

- Kirk

Kirk, I've been unusually busy lately and haven't been able to look into this in detail. I'm dedicating next week to pending support issues, of which there are a few, and I will including this in the list. Hopefully I can have something back for you next week.

Thanks for your patience, my apologies, and best regards,

Jon

Kirk,

After many hours of investigation, that involved tracking source-control revision from August 2005 through now (!), I finally have a tentative fix for this issue. The processing of the RETURN key is pretty complex under Visual Studio, and having methods to work fine both with and without Visual Assist is a real challenge.

In any case, can you download the following build manually to your installation folder and let me know whether it fixes the issue for you, and whether there are any other side-effects?

http://www.viemu.com/vax-xml-return/ViEmu.dll

The version shown in Help|About and with :ver says "2.1.26.return", I will turn this into 2.1.27 if it works fine for everyone.

Regards,

Jon