Re: Navigate intellisense without arrow keys?

First off, I'm enjoying using your product. Thanks for making it.

My question is about intellisense navigation. Is there a way to move through the intellisense list without moving my hand and using the up/down arrow keys? Sometimes I see which keyword i want to use but have to type most of it out irregardless of it being there.

-Mike

Last edited by mphafner (2008-01-21 15:54:49)

Hi Mike,

I investigated this area some time ago, and due to VS's architecture, there is no way to do this. Intellisense is implemented by the language service, which inspects the incoming stream of keypress events, and interpretes Up/Down key codes directly. There is no mechanism for ViEmu to use to convert a j/k keypress into moving up and down in the autocompletion drop down. It's a very bad design if you ask me, and it limits what can be done by an add-in, but unfortunately that's how it works.

Regards,

Jon

That's too bad.

one of the most irritating and confusing..

pk, I understand your point. I will revisit this at some point in the future, but it would require substituting j/k keypress events by up/down keypress events, which I'm not even sure whether its doable using the Win32 hook model.

Thanks,

Jon

(just to make it clear)
irritated by VS not by ViEmu.
I am very pleased with your product.

Thank you..

Thank you kiyoung. In the end, the user experience is caused by VS + ViEmu, so both have a hand!

I think this is doable via hooks, they're tricky to get right, so if you get started make sure you test it a *LOT* tongue

I'd hook the keyboard when visual studio is gains focus and do the old switcheroo on the keypress codes and unhook when it loses focus.

I second the motion that this would be a nice feature... tongue

Ryan, thanks for the suggestion. The reason I've found it troublesome is that, indeed, the Word & Outlook version of ViEmu *does* use hooks (unlike the VS and SQL versions, which use plain old subclassing). I did try doing the "switcheroo" on the keypress as you mention, while working in ViEmu/W&O, and I couldn't get it to work. It messed up user input. And thus I had to stop doing it and find some other way to do it. I still have to research it in detail, as I believe it might be possible in some cases - and of course very useful in many contexts.

When I get around to trying this out, I'll post on the ViEmu blog so everyone can stay up-to-date!

Regards,

Jon

I might mess around with it a bit to see what I can get going.. I've gotten some similar stuff working before. If I do, I'll send you a zip of the code.

Thanks!