Re: can't search in output window with viEmu enabled

When viEmu is disabled, ctrl-f lets me search in the output window.

rob

Hello bins,

Indeed, Ctrl-F is disabled by ViEmu, as it clashes with the vi/vim 'Page down' command. Its actual keybinding is removed and added back any time you enable and disable ViEmu. That's the reason it doesn't work in the Output window.

On the other hand, vi/vim keys don't work in the Output window due to the way VS implements the 'read-only' nature of the window, which doesn't allow any alphanumeric keypress to be intercepted (it causes a warning).

I have plans to bring in the key-interception mechanism I implemented for ViEmu/Word&Outlook into ViEmu/VS, which will allow me to intercept even those keypresses and make vi/vim editing work in the Output window too. This is planned for 2.5 or 3.0, as it's quite a major architecture switch.

Meanwhile, you can either restore Ctrl-F's standard keybinding, which will make you lose Ctrl-F's PageDown functionality, or you can assign another shorcut key to the command. If you are going to do any of these, let me know so that I can give you detailed instructions.

Regards,

- Jon

Ah I see - I'm flicking between vs and vi modes (as non-vi'ers use my pc now and then) and hadn't noticed  that ctrl-f doesn't do find in text windows either

Thanks
Rob

Yes, that's it. I hope to have a better solution in a future build.

Regards,

- Jon

When vim searching works in output window, I'll purchase a copy. For now it's a showstopper.

mopi, what kind of searching are you looking for, Ctrl-F style VS searching or vi/vim style '/' searching? Getting Ctrl-F to work is doable pretty quickly, getting '/' to work will be possible in a future version but it requires a completely new keypress-interception mechanism for all of ViEmu, which won't be ready in the short-term.

Regards,

Jon

Ideally vim searching. But anything is better than nothing. I frequently use Ctrl+i and F3 (to repeat the search) in output window when I use VS. Others might use Ctrl+f more.

The reason this is important for me is that the company I work for have replaced the normal VS C++ compiler with another and it's output is incompatible with the shortkeys in VS. So I need to find the compiler errors somehow.

It took me all of 5 minutes to download and install viemu before I found this limitation when I tried it out :-)

Mopi,

I've researched this, and it's doable, but the shorcut you choose for 'Find' in the About box will be active both in text editing windows and the output window. If you choose to use Ctrl-F for find, you won't be able to use it to scroll one pagefull down as in vim (you can still use Ctrl-D to scroll half a pagefull). If you choose some other key, there won't be a clash.

If you want to use another key, it's simple to configure:

1) Go to Tools|Options|Environment|Keyboard
2) Type "Edit.Find" in the edit box on top
3) Click on the shorcut entry edit box (the one with "Press shortcut keys:" on top)
4) Press the keypress you want to assign
5) Click 'Assign'
6) Click 'Ok' to save the configuration

If instead you want to restore Ctrl-F's regular function, these are the steps:

1) Go to Tools|Options|ViEmu
2) Press the "Keyboard..." button
3) Click 'Restore' under the left-hand side list to restore keybindings (answer yes to the confirmation message box)
4) Click 'Forget' under the left-hand side list (answer yes to the confirmation prompt)
5) Edit the list of "Keys scanned" at the bottom right to remove the 'F' letter from the list
6) Click 'Apply' below this list
7) Click on 'Save and Remove' under the right-hand side list (answer yes to the prompt
8) Click 'Close' and then 'Ok' to save everything

After this, 'F' should have its function back.

I apologize for the clumsiness of the method. I plan to implement a better method in ViEmu 3.0, some time later this year.

Thanks,

- Jon

Yes, that works.

I assigned Ctrl+i to incremental search (as it is without viemu) and searching in the output window works.

Great to hear that it works. Let me know if anything else acts up.