Re: viemu crashes VS2005

Start VS2005.
En explorer, create an empty cfg file e.g. test.cfg.
Open test.cfg in VS2005.
Paste any single line of text in the file with "*p
Mark the line with Shift-v
Indent the selected line with > (on my Swedish keyboard that is Shift-<)

This will crash VS2005 with a dialog prompting me to send error report to Microsoft.
I'm using viemu 2.1.17

Hello Mopi,

Can you let me know the state of the setting "Use Windows clipboard for default register" in your Tools|Options|ViEmu window? That might affect the behavior.

I'll try to reproduce it and get back to you before the end of the week.

Regards,

Jon

These settings are checked:

Enable viemu
Ignore CAPS LOCK state in NORMAL
Default to Windows Clipboard
Beep on errors
ignorecase
smartcase
incsearch
hlsearch

Hello mopi,

I haven't been able to reproduce it, it just works fine for me. I tried it with an empty (0 bytes) .CFG file in VS2005, with Vista, and ViEmu 2.1.22. I tried with both English and Spanish keyboard layout, which is similar to swedish, and it worked fine with both. I also tried it with both Visual Assist installed and uninstalled, no difference.

I think I need some more info:

- How are you creating the .CFG file? How long is it in bytes? How are you opening it in VS?
- What does the clipboard contain before the paste?
- Can you go to Help|About, copy the contents there, and paste them back to me?
- Have you tried using a US keyboard layout, to see whether that's related to the problem?
- Any other specific situation that might affect the behavior, say, a system clipboard utility, etc...?

Thanks,

Jon

I'm creating the cfg file in explorer by right clicking to create an empty text file and naming it test.cfg.
I drag the file from explorer to VS.

I'll look at the other things when I get back to work on monday.

The clipboard contained nothing special. Some lines of C code, but it was the same when I tried with the single line "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog".

Ok, that's what I tried myself and I couldn't reproduce the crash. I'll be out of the office during all of next week, but I'll hopefully have some time to try to address the issue once you can get me some more information.

Thanks,

Jon

I tried with american english keyboard layout and the result was the same.

Here's the info from Help->About:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Version 8.0.50727.762  (SP.050727-7600)
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 2.0.50727

Installed Edition: Professional

Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005   (serial?)
Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005
Version 8.0.50727.762

Microsoft Visual C# 2005   (serial?)
Microsoft Visual C# 2005

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005   (serial?)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005

ClearCase Search   1.0
ClearCase search is a toolwindow implemented as a VSIP pkg. This pkg adds support for WAN views (web views) to the legacy "FindCheckouts"and  "FindModified Files" functionality, as well as combines both the dialogs in one single toolwindow interface (akin to CCRC Eclipse version).

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU (KB941098)   
This Hotfix is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this Hotfix will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941098

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB926601)   
This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926601

NGEDIT Software's ViEmu   v2.1.17
ViEmu 2.1 - vi/vim editor emulation for Microsoft(TM) Visual Studio(TM)
(c) 2005-2006 NGEDIT Software (www.ngedit.com)

Rational ClearCase   
Rational ClearCase
Copyright 2002 by Rational Software Corporation.
All Rights Reserved.

Rational ClearQuest   2004.07.00
Rational ClearQuest
(C) Copyright IBM Corp. 2003
All Rights Reserved.

SDE ClearCase   1.0
Adds ClearCase integration for Visual Studio projects generated by SDE

SDE Description Files Language Service   1.0
Provides syntax coloring of SDE description files

SDE Addin
SDE Addin - Adds SDE functionality to Visual Studio.NET 2005.
Copyright (C) 2006 Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications

I replaced some numbers with (serial?) since I didn't know if it was a serial number. If it was, it better not be world viewable.

I don't have any clipboard utilities running and now my trial license for viemu has expired so I can't investigate it further.

The only unusual things I saw on the list of your installed software are the ClearCase packages and SDE add-in. Any chance of testing the functionality without them, or is there a trial of those I could download somewhere to try to reproduce it?

I've sent you an email to extend your trial period so that we can test it properly.

Best regards,

Jon

Perhaps there is a trial of ClearCase, I don't know. SDE on the other hand is my employers internal product and not availible in any way or form.

I'd rather not mess up my dev environment by uninstalling them and I don't find an easy way to disable them.

But I'll try to reproduce it on another computer that don't have those plugins. Hopefully today, otherwise later this week.

I totally understand it. Thanks!