Re: ViEmuSQL blocks KB 934458 (Critical SQL Update) from installing

I recently got a new box at work, and ViEmu and ViEmuSQL were some of the first things I installed after VS and SQL Management Studio.

After that Windows Update tried and failed multiple times to install the "Critical Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB 934458)" update.  It took me a while, but I decided to uninstall ViEmuSQL and the update installed immediately afterward.

I'm not sure if there is a way to fix this, but if someone else if having the same problem, try uninstalling ViEmuSQL before installing the update.

Hello,

Thanks for posting about this. I haven't installed KB 934458, and can't really understand what they might check in order to block the install...

More importantly, could you install ViEmu/SQL after the critical update was installed, and did ViEmu/SQL work correctly? If so, it is an annoyance, but thankfully not severe. If it doesn't work, then it's more serious.

Thanks and best regards,

- Jon

I was able to install ViEmuSQL after the update, and it works fine.

Thanks so much. I suppose the problem lies in the registry key that links the add-in to be loaded inside the environment, or that the SQLWB.EXE process is launched in some special way. Add-ins for SQL Server are not "officially supported" by Microsoft, although they told me a couple of years ago that they were considering it, so it's possible that their update mechanism hasn't been tested in this scenario.

Fortunately, thanks to you anyone googling for "ViEmu KB 934458" or "ViEmu SQL Update" or so will find this page. I also know it in case anyone asks me directly. I can't think of any other more automatic way to address this, as people may not associate this directly to ViEmu. Let me know if you can think of something.

Thanks again and best regards,

- Jon