Re: Refactor.Rename

I use this functionality in VS 2008 quite a bit. The first keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+r Ctrl+r.  I removed R from the keys scanned and that didn't seem to help. The weird part is that this functionality is also mapped to F2 in the "Visual C# 2005" default key mapping that I use. That also doesn't work for some reason. Any thoughts?

Hi,

Indeed, all keystrokes belonging to a conflicting command are removed.

You can either restore the F2 mapping manually (go to Tools|Options|Keyboard, type "Refactor.Rename", click on the 'shortcut key' editbox, press F2, and then click Assign), or you can try to remove Ctrl-R from ViEmu's "problematic list". Here is an excerpt from section 3.2 in the manual explaining how to do this:

In case you'd like ViEmu not to consider some of the standard keys for clash detection, you can edit the list of keys scanned for clashing purposes. For example, if you want to leave Ctrl-F alone, you can remove the 'F' from the list, and click on 'Apply' to save the setting and rescan the current keybindings. If ViEmu previously removed the Ctrl-F keybinding and you want to restore it, the simplest sequenced of steps is:

1. Remove the offending key from the list of scanned keys
2. Click on 'Apply' to save the setting
3. Click on the 'Restore' button to restore the original keybindings
4. Now, the previously offending keybinding won't appear in the list on the right as it is no longer considered
5. Finally, click on the 'Save and Remove' button to remove these keybindings and remember them for later restoring

The 'Default' button resets the list to its default value ("RFBDUWTQEYOINP]"), and the 'All' button sets it to the full list, that is, the default ones plus 'V' and 'C'. The new setting is applied as soon as any of these buttons is pressed.

One limitation of the automatic management is that a set of keybindings for a command, which may include more than one combination, is managed as a single entity, and restored/removed as a whole. This is excessive for commands which have several keybindings, only one of which may clash - all of the assignments will be removed and restored as a whole.

Hope that helps, let me know if any extra info is needed.

Regards,

-- Jon

Thanks. That helps a lot.

What functionality does ViEmu add to F2? I haven't been able to determine that.

I am a first time Vi user and I am having a blast. Thank you very much.

Hi,

ViEmu actually doesn't add any functionality to F2. The reason it removes the binding is that the automatic-keybinding-removal code is not completely smart, and it removes all bindings of a command that has one binding that clashes. F2 has been removed because of the Ctrl-R, Ctrl-R binding.

Also, the list of clashing keys to check is not very intuitive, you have to perform a few steps to recover keybindings (this is explained in the manual, though).

I have a new keypress-interception method that will overcome all these problems, this is planned for ViEmu 3.0 (several months in the future yet).

Regards,

- Jon

Jon,

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. I am slowly working my way through the manual. smile

3.0 looks like it adds a ton of features. Thanks for all of your hard work.

You're very welcome. Indeed, ViEmu 3 is planned to be a very nice release. That's also why it's still a few months down the road! smile

-- Jon