Re: The battle for the status bar: ViEmu vs. VisualSVN

Hi,
I use both ViEmu and VisualSVN and I just have reported this issue to the VisualSVN Mailing list

<snip>
Hi *,
VisualSVN occupies the status bar of Visual Studio. I use another VS
Addin (ViEmu) that uses the status bar as an entry area for vi ex
commands. And with VisualSVN installed I can not see what I type
there.
Is there any way to disable the status icon?

Otherwise I really love the product.

ralf
</snip>

BTW: I use VS2008 SP1.

Any idea how that could be fixed from ViEmu's side of things.

ralf

Oh, just after writing the post I installed version 1.53 of VisualSVN and the seem to have moved their status icon. So the problem disappeared.

No, the problem didn't disappear. Vsvn has two sets of icons "traffic lights" and "high contrast". The problem only disapears when I switch to the "high contrast", because those icons are displayed on the right side of the status bar.

Hello,

I can't really think of any ready thing to fix this from ViEmu's side. I plan to implement a separate viemu-input-entry area at the bottom of text windows, but this will come much later, as there are many other things ahead of it on the TO-DO list, and it's not simple at all.

The best thing would be that the VisualSVN people set the input only when it changes -- the status bar retains the last thing that has been set. ViEmu works like this, and it often interacts well with other 3rd party add-ons that only update it when necessary (and it's usually not when you are typing a search or ex command).

If the VisualSVN guys need some help from my part, I will be happy to help out. It shouldn't be difficult to fix it just on their end, though, by checking whether the status is the same as the last time before setting it.

Regards,

-- Jon