Re: Resharper 4.1 compatibility

Hi all,

I just discovered ViEmu and Vimperator (firefox extension) and am trying both out.

As a user of Resharper 4.1 and having seen mention of Resharper 2.5 and 3.0 in the changelog I'm wondering if there are plans to fully support 4.1 as well?

I've only just started the trial, and don't have much work on atm, but as I find issues I can post them here if that's of use?

Jon

ViEmu has provisions for Resharper up to 4.0. I will update it to support 4.1 too, although it will require some time.

There are a few interesting things pending, but many ViEmu/VS customers are using ViEmu and Resharper together, so there shouldn't be any essential problem with using both.

Indeed, please let me know what the biggest offenders are! Posting here is best as it will be beneficial to other users too.

Thanks and best regards,

- Jon

Hi, Jon.

As far as I know, ViEmu 2.2.6 doesn't detect (by not detecting I mean not entering Insert mode) this command of Resharper 4.1:
ReSharper.ReSharper_Rename

Additionally, the same behaviour is with Resharper actions "Create field", "Create property", "Create method" etc, but I can't locate what command name it is in Visual Studio.

I hope you can fix that - otherwise those commands are almost non-usable with ViEmu.

regards,
Pawel

Pawel, I will try to install R# 4.1, test this, and provide a fix within the next few days. I've been pretty swamped with work. I'll post here as soon as I have more info.

Thanks for the details about the exact commands that cause trouble!

- Jon

Sorry I got made redundant so haven't been doing much coding.  I've just decided to write a little app myself so will install the trial again and see how things go.  It's great to know you're on top of this anyway.

hastarin, sorry to hear about that. Hopefully you will find a job very soon! A friend of mine set up his own company after being laid off, and he's been successful ever since.

I'll have a look at the R# 4.1 issues in the next few days.

Meanwhile, let me know if I can help out with anything else.

Regards and best wishes,

-- Jon

Hi Jon,

Same name here.  Well actually a Jonathan but I go by Jon as it's just easier.  smile

It's all good.  The job had got incredibly boring and I needed a holiday anyway, which I'll get to after I stop fiddling with all the odds and ends I'd let pile up.

I will look forward to an updated version when you get the chance then.  So far I haven't used it much and am still undecided on it, though I have only been using it on my notebook for a few hours.  I'll have to see how I go on a real keyboard at some stage.

Jon,

My "Jon" is just that, it's the basque version of "John". Pretty common name in the Basque country, and as a plus, I don't get raised eyebrows when I visit the US smile

I'm glad the redundancy is not too bad. I'm sure you can find a good job in a short time, good developers are always in demand, and I don't know any developer who went to the trouble of learning vi who isn't an excellent developer!

Let me know if you want to have a license for ViEmu now and pay for it later, when you get back on a job. I understand this is not be the moment for expenses and I have no problem in delaying the payment until the day it's comfortable to you.

I find vi/vim editing most beneficial on a laptop, where the keyboard is not full size and a mouse/trackpad is always a pain to use. Only after that I found out that it's also more comfortable on a full-size dekstop!

Best regards,

- Jon

I hate to bump for bumping's sake but the last on-topic reply in this thread goes back to October 23. Any progress?

admin wrote:

I'll have a look at the R# 4.1 issues in the next few days.

You are doing right to bump this up to bring it back to my attention. The last two months have been a pretty hectic period, I hope to catch up with all the pending issues during January, which will be a calmer month. I'll post back here as soon as I have more news.

Apologies and best regards,

- Jon

Tarciu, Jeremy,

If I understand correctly, the main problems are with the inline-rename feature, as described on the thread, and also with the "Create Field", "Create Property" and "Create Method" features. Dumb as it may sound, I can't really locate features with that exact names in R# (I'm not a user myself), would you mind pointing out how exactly to use those commands?

At least in my install, ViEmu recognizes the inline rename command correctly (I'm using the Ctrl-R,R shortuct), as ViEmu is checking for the command by the same name that R# 4.1 uses ("Resharper.Resharper_Rename"). After using it, I can actually start typing the new name for the variable (no need to use 'i' or 's' or anything). It's a bit uglier afterwards, because you have to type Return for R# to accept it, and then Esc to exit insert mode. But I'd like to know whether that's the exact misbehavior before starting to decide how to fix it.

Regards,

Jon

(Edited to move this discussion off-forum. Apologies to anyone who might be keeping tabs on the thread here.)

Last edited by jeremygray (2009-02-27 00:47:43)

In case anyone else is following this: we've finally worked out a method that in principle works much better than previous attempts at R#<->ViEmu compatibility for the "inline-rename"/"live-template" mode.

I've completely abandoned detecting specific R# commands, which is impossible when done through Resharper's own UI, and resorted to detecting when they insert the markers in the buffer. I've also added code to return to normal mode when the live-rename mode is over, however it happens, which I think makes most sense.

I think it works much better, in all cases I'm aware of (renaming a local variable, the "create method/class/..." commands, and when entering a live-template such as when typing "for<tab>").

As I'm not a full-time R# user myself, I'd be grateful for any extra feedback on this solution. I've built a 2.2.7.R#2 version that includes this system, and uploaded just the DLL, so that you don't have to do a full uninstall/reinstall:

http://www.viemu.com/2.2.7.r_2/ViEmu.dll

Just substituting the ViEmu.dll in the installation directory (typically C:\Program Files\ViEmu) will activate it. It can be checked from VS with the :ver command or in Help|About, it will show "2.2.7.R#2" as the version tag (the version number in Tools|Options|ViEmu isn't updated).

If this works fine and shows no other problem, it will become the official 2.2.8 and I will release it within the next few days.

Regards,

- Jon

This is finally fixed in 2.2.8, see details here:

http://www.viemu.com/blog/2009/03/12/viemuvs-228-released-better-resharper-support/

Jon, this new model of cooperation with R# is awesome!!!

Now I can work with both VIEmu and R# very smoothly smile
I'll let you know in case of any problems detected, but so far it's pure pleasure to work with both at the same time smile  Thanks a lot!

Tarciu,

Great to hear that it works fine for you. Let me know about any other issues that come up. I hope to make the R#+ViEmu experience as smooth as possible, there are many people who use both.

Best regards,

-- Jon