Re: Visual block first character

In gVim when i press 'v' the first character (where the cursor is) is highlighted.
in ViEmu no character is highlighted.

I use this often to uppercase one char using vU, but in ViEmu i need vlU which is a bit confusing.

is this by design? am i missing something?

sotto, by mistake, the visual mode I implemented for ViEmu was equivalent to vim's visual mode when you have ":set selection=exclusive", which is the default on Windows, instead of ":set selection=inclusive", which is the default on Unix systems. This was unintentional, I wasn't even aware of the 'selection' setting, and since I emulated more based on the behavior of vim I saw and was familiar with, rather than on documentation, what you have is what resulted.

Implementing the various 'selection' settings remains on the todo list. It won't be ready soon, as it's somewhat involved. Hopefully it's not too difficult to get accustomed to the 'exclusive' behavior.

Regards,

-- Jon

thanks for the explanation.

I'll put

map v vl

in my _viemurc. That seems to emulate what I want for now. Let's hope it doesn't have too much side-effects smile

Ok, let me know how that works for you. It may be useful for other people who miss the same thing.

After reading your mapping, I thought you should use ":noremap v vl" to protect it, but I've tested your version above and it works fine.

Regards,

-- Jon

sotto - just FYI, in case you weren't aware, you can also use ~ to switch the case of the character currently under the cursor. This also has the effect of moving the cursor to the next character, which may or may not be desirable for you.

Cheers,
Ben.

Thanks, I didn't know the ~ trick

Apologies for not realizing this myself -- Ben, thanks so much! -- Jon