Re: ctrl-o not working

Hello, I just installed ViEmu for the first time. Looks very cool. However, I'm unable to use the ctrl-o jump command. I verified in Tools->Options->Keyboard that ctrl-o is not bound to any VS command. And the ViEmu menu indicates that ctrl-o has been unmapped from the default command.

But after doing something like search (using /), I'm unable to jump back to my previous position using ctrl-o.

Any thoughts?

jburke,

I've just tested it to make it sure, and Ctrl-I and Ctrl-O work fine to navigate history, on VS.NET 2003, 2005, and 2008, with C++, HTML and C#. I'm a frequent user of the functionality so I understand you missing it.

Can you post the exact details of what version of VS you are using, with what language, and what other 3rd party add-ins you have installed? You can go to Help|About, copy the contents there with the provided button, and paste them back here, which will have all the info.

Regards,

-- Jon

Hi Jon, I'm using VS 2008 SP1 (9.0.30729.1 SP), English language version. I'm unable to copy all Help|About info since the development computer doesn't have Internet access. But I'm using the Visual Assist X addon.

After posting my original message, I noticed that ctrl-o works when editing an existing file, something that's already in a VS project. However, when I create a new file from scratch (File|New|File), and then search around in it, ctrl-o doesn't work. In fact, ctrl-o will take me to other files that I've been editing. And trying to do ctrl-i to get back to my newly created file doesn't work; I'm able to ctrl-o/ctrl-i through existing files, but the ctrl-i function will never take me back to the new file. Since I just installed the addon, I haven't figured out the pattern of when it works/doesn't work. But creating a new files seems to reliably expose the problem.

- Justin

Justin,

Indeed, that is a limitation of the current ViEmu. Global marks (like marks set with "mA" to "mZ" commands, and like Ctrl-I/Ctrl-O history markers) are based on the file name. When you have created a new file, before saving it, the VS buffer can not reliably be located via its filename, so these markers do not work. The only workaround is to save the file early.

Alternative ways to locate a file created other types of worse trouble, due to VS's architecture, so I chose this as the "least bad" solution.

I'm taking note of your request though, and if I can find a reliable way to fix it, I'll post here and drop you a line.

Regards,

- Jon

Jon, that makes sense. It's probably a rarely needed feature. Just happened to be one of the first things that I tried before loading up a large project for actual work. Thanks for the reply.

Justin

You're very welcome. I apologize for ViEmu's misbehavior -- in my defense, VS is often a hostile environment for a vi/vim emulator.

Regards,

- Jon