Re: Cycle Clipboard Ring not working

Hi! I noticed that the cut/copy operations done using ViEmu are not included into the Clipboard Ring in VS 2005, if they are done using ViEmu commands (yank or delete). If these same actions are executed inside the Insert mode, using Edit/Copy or Edit/Cut, they are loaded into the Clipboard Ring and they can be recalled using the Ctrl-Shift-V command in insert mode. This is a big problem because even Vim numbered buffers don't work as a place holder for the Yank/Delete operations.

May be the solution is to make the Clipboard Ring work and also to use this ring to implement the numbered buffers.

Thanks again for a great product!

Nando

Nando, it's pretty difficult to integrate the vi/vim registers into the external clipboard system. Several typical vi/vim operations do not mix well with other clipboard areas: remembering whether the clips are charwise/linewise/blockwise, appending content to existing registers ("Ayy), etc...

ViEmu integrates the "* register with the system clipboard, such that any copy to the "* register goes to the system clipboard (both in VS and vim standard formats), and so that any paste from the "* register first reads the system clipboards. Yank/paste to other registers do not even touch the system clipboards, it's a completely internal operation.

In any case, I am not aware of the VS2005 clipboard ring, so I will have a look at it and let you know what I find out.

What is exactly what you miss? Ctrl-Shift-V showing the recent copies? This might be solved by fixing some behavior which is already non-vim-compliant, which is that any yank to a named register should also yank to the main (system) register. Would that be enough?

Since I'm implementing ViEmu/Word+Outlook right now, I will probably have to revisit clipboard handling soon, so it may be a good chance to try to get the best behavior.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon: The integration between ViEmu and the "* register is working fine in my computer, things are copied to the clipboard when I yank/delete, but I don't know why things are not added to the clipboard ring though.

From you feedback I understand I need to define more clearly my ideas. Well, first of all, I think that the biggest gap is that the numbered buffers are not working as they work in Vim, so that's probably that's my suggestion for a top priority task: fix these numbered buffers. Second, I think that as an extra the app should copy anything that is copied/moved to the standard clipboard to the "clipboard ring" also, it looks like an standard behavior. If you feel that the numbered buffers are too big of a task, then fixing the "clipboard ring" will be enough for now, but it's a big gap that should be fixed because most Vim users are used to this behavior.

Thanks again for your great product!

Nando

Nando, thanks for posting more details. I will have a look at this for the next release and get back to you about it.

Best regards,

Jon

Hi,
Did the copy to clipboard ring ever get resolved? Or is it likely to?
cheers,
Rob

Rob,

I never got around to doing anything about this. Since I didn't receive any more complaints, it's very low down in the todo list. In looking at the explanations again, I'm not totally sure I understand the actual issue. Could you please explain exactly what you are missing? The VS clipboard ring is not a feature I am familiar with, and I'm sure I'll understand the problem better if you can explain it to me.

Regards,

-- Jon

The normal behaviour without Viemu would be:
Line 1
Line 2
Line 3
I would copy line 1 with ctrl+c I would then copy line 2 with ctrl+c and then ctrl+c to copy line 3. Each of these copy operations would add to the clipboard and clipboard ring. If I now pressed ctrl+v I would paste line 3. If I decided I wanted to paste line 1 or 2 I would press ctrl+shif+v to cycle through each item that I have copied and have a history of my copies.

However when I yank or cut each line in viemu they aren’t added to the clipboard ring, so I can only ever access the last item I have yanked through ctrl+shift+v. I’d normally use p to paste in Viemu but occasionally I want to grab more than one piece of text and then paste them one after another. I know I can currently do something similar using 3 different registers but it just seems to break my flow a bit.

After writing this I noticed this post:
http://www.viemu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=33
I think this post would give me the functionality I need without having non standard behaviour.
Cheers,
Rob

RobHenry,

I'm taking note of this, and will have a look at it as soon as I can. I will really have to think what the best solution is, and whether a user-setting would be necessary too. I'll post here and drop you a line when I have news.

Best regards,

Jon

Yeah. I've been a vim fan for a while, and when I came across this gem of a program I figured I'd give it a try.
But, I too am in the same boat of thinking it'd be nice if the past ring worked. Odd how the little things really pop out when they suddenly aren't working the way you expected.

I'll try to push this up the todo list.

- Jon