Re: ViEmu & Windows 7

I just wanted to check and see if you had a chance to check into getting ViEmu to install under Windows 7.  I've switched back to Vista for now but am really missing Win 7.  From what I've heard the RC is coming down the line slowly but surely so it'd be really nice to be able to make the switch...

Haven't had a chance yet. I'll try to test it and post back here. From what I understand, the problem is that ViEmu doesn't actually install. I guess it's related to the protection/privileges model somehow.

One thing I'd like to note, though, is that Windows 7 is still a beta, and the usual disclaimer for beta software compatibility applies.

I'll try to fix the problems asap, though, better to be ready as soon as possible, and hopefully it won't be too complex.

Thanks,

- Jon

By the way, you said it was a problem with "a 32-bit build of Windows 7". Could you please tell me the exact build? This is so that I don't waste time installing the incorrect build.

- Jon

I have a 64-bit windows 7 system, build 7000 fully updated, and I also cannot run ViEmu. If I just run the installer I get an error trying to set up VS2008. If I start a command prompt "run as administrator" then I do not get that error. However in both cases when I start VS2008 I get a pop-up error message "ViEmu incorrectly installed, please reinstall".

Tom, if you copy the registration key file to the ViEmu installation folder (typically C:\Program Files\ViEmu), that message should be fixed, as it is related to trial-period control code.

I have downloaded the Windows 7 x86 beta and I plan to try to install it in a VM shortly. I'll post back here as soon as I have more information.