Re: viemu VS 2008, Win7RC

FYI:

ViEmu behaves poorly on the Win7RC I have. ViEmu v2.2.9.

Poorly means:
will lock in command modefails to go into insert mode. Requires VS restart.

I don't know what to do, I have to keep using Win7, and yet I have to keep using ViEmu...

Afton.

This is really weird. As far as I know, there is nothing in Win7 that should cause such a problem. I have tried ViEmu lightly under Win7 in a VM, and it seemed to work fine.

I will definitely have to install Win7 natively and give it some more use. I'm weary of doing this with an RC, though. Beta software is bad for your health.

Do you have any pattern on what happens?

Regards,

-- Jon

This is classic intermittent failure. I have detected to no patterns to it, but it happens often enough that I'm tempted to say something like "every prime number of times you leave insert mode" smile

I understand your concerns about Beta software. Consider this just a heads up for some work you *may* have to do when the release version comes out. In the meantime, if I detect a pattern, I'll let you know.

Afton.

Thanks Afton. I definitely have in mind installing and using Win7, as it's due to be the major OS very soon, and I have to make sure my products work well on it.

It's amazing how some things can affect seemingly unrelated behavior.

You probably can't use this proficiently anyway. Leaving insert mode shouldn't cause trouble. Are you using Visual Assist? Behavior can be different there, esp. if you are using "vaxesc". Please try toggling that if you are using VAX. Apart from that, I do call some extra function to make sure Intellisense drop downs are closed. I can prepare a special build with that call removed and send the DLL to you for some quick tests, it will be the most effective way to try and find the problem.

Regards,

-- Jon

Hi,

Thought I'd let you know I've been using viemu on Win 7 RC with VS 2008 for several months as my primary development environment and haven't found any problems, e.g. behaves exactly as it did when I ran under Vista, no lockups etc so I don't think the issue is a problem with VIEmu.

Thanks,

Reeve.

Reevev, thanks a lot for posting your experience. Good to know that ViEmu doesn't have a repeatable problem with Win7. It does seem unlikely that ViEmu is affected in such a weird way. Anyway, anything could be the cause.

- Jon