Re: Enhancement request - Bold, Italic, etc. in ViEmu/Word

When using ViEmu/Word, I keep finding myself visually marking text (using 'v' or 'V') and wanting to toggle bold/italic/underline. Unfortunately Ctrl+B, Ctrl+I, and Ctrl+U have their own purposes in ViEmu. I would love to be able to use an easy to remember alternative like Ctrl+Shift+B for bold, Ctrl+Shift+I for italic, etc. As it is, if I want to use keyboard shortcuts for those operations, I have to enter insert mode and use the mouse to select the text.

In Office 2007, the bold/italic/underline ribbon buttons are often not visible, so a keyboard shortcut is pretty important.

As a workaround, I can also temporarily disable ViEmu, but that's cumbersome. I can disable ViEmu's processing of those keys, but I use Ctrl+B and Ctrl+U in ViEmu.

Woody,

Thanks for the suggestion. I had thought about this myself when developing ViEmu/Word&Outlook initially, but I never got around to implementing them. I'm trying to catch up with quite a few outstanding support issues, but after that, I plan to release minor revisions to all the ViEmus, and this seems like a nice good idea for a simple but useful ViEmu/Word&Outlook improvement.

I'll post here when this is ready.

Regards,

-- Jon

I'd really like this feature too. I'm willing to give up some Vim commands to do it, but I can't figure out how to disable Ctrl-B and Ctrl-I (as wthrower describes).

I tried this in my _viemurc, but no luck:

unmap <c-b>
unmap <c-i>

Running these commands from ViEmuW gives the error "No such mapping".

Is there anything we can do to get bold/italic/underline shortcuts in Outlook without Jon releasing an update?

I'll try to push this forward and have it ready with one of the next few releases. I'm really eager to finish the licensing system stuff and get back to improving the products.

You can go to ViEmu Settings -> Keyboard, and control Ctrl-B and Ctrl-I processing from there.

I can't think of how this could be done in a better way using just mappings, Word input processing is quite a lemon.

-- Jon