Re: ViEmu for SQL Server 2005 Management Studio available

Hello,

I have just uploaded ViEmu/SQL 2.0, a new product based in ViEmu/VS technology that enables vi/vim emulation inside SQL Server 2005 Management Studio. It's linked to from the main http://www.viemu.com page, or you can click on the following link:

www.viemu.com/vi-vim-sql-server-management-studio.html

I have yet to announce it to the full mailing list, but it's already official.

Please let me know if something doesn't work as expected.

Thanks,

Jon

Oh man, you are the coolest!

How awesome!

Now I don't have to forget how to use Vim every time I want to test a lengthy query!

I normally highlight the query I want to execute and hit F5, however F5 doesn't seem to be working anymore - any tips on re-enabling it?

Thanks,

Johan.

Johan, another user has told me about it too. Since I don't use Management Studio myself, I didn't know I was removing an important key. I am preparing a new build which won't remove F5 by default - the culprit is that the same command is also bound to Ctrl-E, and this clashes with the vi/vim standard scrolling command.

Meanwhile, you can go to Tools|ViEmu Settings->Keyboard, remove the 'E' from the list of keys scanned for clashes, and click Apply - you should be all set after that. Of course, Ctrl-E will no longer be available, and the lack of configurability in SQL Server Management Studio keys doesn't provide a fix for this. Unfortunately, it will take some time until I implement a better, key-by-key keyboard management mechanism.

Poor man's compatibility fix: if you want to keep Ctrl-E for scrolling, I think you can leave the configuration as is and use Alt-X to execute the current query.

Yes, I found Alt-X shortly after posting.

The other thing I do regularly in management studio is select a single query or part of a query to execute only that part. That is no longer possible without using the standard selection mode, which I suppose is neither here nor there for me seeing as I'm disabling it in VS as well due to the VB language services junk.

Johan, I've just uploaded ViEmu/SQL 2.0.26 - download directly from the web page (filename ViEmuSQL-2.0.msi). It won't remove Ctrl-E by default. It needs a manual uninstall before installing this one. If "too many keybindings" disappear, check the ViEmu/SQL specific FAQ on how to restore them (it sometimes happens when uninstalling ViEmu/SQL, I'm researching this dark corner of SSMS behavior).

Regarding the selection, you have two possibilities:

#1) Activate "Use standard/VS selection for visual mode" in the preferences (in both ViEmu/VS and ViEmu/SQL). This will make ViEmu behave as in 1.x for visual mode, and you'll get all that compatibility.

#2) Keep the new more vim-like behavior, and use gS from visual mode when you want ViEmu to convert the current visual range into the selection. This will last only until the next vi/vim keypress, which will allow you to issue a VS or SSMS command from the menus, the context menu, or using a shortcut.

Whatever you like most.

Cool I can live with that. Thanks.