Re: Minor Visual Mode Behavoir Bug?

I absolutely am in love with this product, great job guys!

One thing I have noticed is the that visual selection seems to not automatically select the letter under the cursor when going into it.  This is generally not an issue when going to the right (it is one extra keypress but not crushing), but when going to the left, it means the selection starts to the LEFT of your current letter.

Consider the string "Hello World", and I have the cursor on the W ("Hello [W]orld").

In Vim, in normal mode, hitting "vlll" leads to "Worl" being highlighted.

In Vim, in normal mode, hitting "vhhh" leads to "lo W" being highlighted.

In ViEmu, in normal mode, hitting "vlll" leads to "Wor" being highlighted, which is one short, but not a big dead, hit l one more time and I am good.

But, the real problem is, in ViEmu, in normal mode, hitting "vhhh" leads to "lo " being selected, missing the W... and there is no really easy way to go back and get the W I expected. 

It seems just tweaking the entry to visual mode to select the current char under the cursor in visual mode would fix this issue (all of them).  Keep up the great work.

Hello Metacosm,

Thanks for the kind comment. I'm glad you are enjoying the product.

As for the behavior you report, rather than a bug, it's "incomplete behavior". Vim has several visual selection modes, set with "set selection=", and the main ones being 'inclusive' and 'exclusive'. The behavior you describe is 'inclusive' behavior, which is default in vim on most systems. Unfortunately, I didn't know about it, and I thought the 'exclusive' behavior, which is default on Windows, was the standard one. It's the one I implemented, and that's why ViEmu provides only that.

I plan to provide the full behavior in a future release. I will post here and let you know the day this is ready (given the current outlook, most likely in the next few months).

Regards,

-- Jon

mswin.vim is now hurting me by-proxy, I hatesssss it. 

Glad to hear the "standard" way is coming, I shall wait... and look forward to it, thanks.  smile

You're very welcome. mswin.vim has done a lot of damage! smile

-- Jon

Jon--

You should crib another bit of goodness from the Vim community, and setup a voting system for the paying customers, allow us to vote on what little bits of vi(m) compatibility break our muscle memory the most.  smile

Last edited by metacosm (2009-08-03 02:04:27)

Metacosm, thanks for the suggestion. I actually have a crude approximation of this myself, since the things most people want get asked for very often! Anyway, since there are a lot of other factors determining in what I have to invest my time, I'm not sure it would be very useful in this stage -- but anyway, it's probably a great idea for the future.

Regards,

-- Jon

When is the selection option coming? This 'exclusive' mode makes me have to correct my own misplaced visual selection every other time I use it (when I go backwards).

Last edited by styggentorsken (2010-10-03 12:41:32)

Indeed, this has been a long time missing. I'm afraid that there are still things of higher priority in the to-do queue, but hopefully I'll be able to provide this in a version in the coming months, after the dust of moving over to VS2010 settles down (it's been a huge undertaking, closer to a rewrite than to a port).

Another vote for this feature.  The exclusive behavior is terrible, breaking symmetry between visual selection with forward and backwards motions.

This is also one of those things that require people to retrain their basic impulses when working with ViEmu, losing capability overall even when they switch back to Vim.

Thanks for the comment Eric, we still working in many users suggestions to add or modify features in future ViEmu versions.