Re: Multiple window splits?

Hi.

I like using windows splits, via ctrl+w then s. I was just wondering why you're only able to split the window once with this method, I'm presuming its a visual studio restriction that you can only split a file once!? Any workarounds available for this?

Cheers

Jim

I've looked into window splits (horizontal and vertical), and even tried to write my own plugin. There are no workarounds that I am aware of sad

Tomlu, thanks for chipping in. Jim, indeed, the splits issue is a limitation of Visual Studio. The VS buffer/view model is much more limited than the vim one, and thus it is impossible to open more splits, or to do actual vertical splits ("tab groups" are a poor substitute), or to have more views on the same file. Hopefully VS will improve in this regard in future versions, and ViEmu will be able to make use of that.

Regards,

-- Jon

Hi Jon,

Does this also mean that when the window is split it's not possible to open another file in the second split?

Thanks
Paul

Indeed, this is a VS limitation - window splits only show two different views of the same buffer.

On the other hand, VS tab groups allow showing more than one file at the same time. They have the limitation that you have to choose between horizontal and vertical groups.

All in all, VS's system is clearer, but much less powerful.

I, too, prefer vim's splitting capabilities to VS's.  But if one moves back and forth between the two contexts a lot (full-on vim, then VS, and back) one may find it helpful to develop the habit of using vim's tab-pages.  It's less inherently desirable in some sense, but it would mean the habits then apply well to both contexts.

I found both systems confusing, in different ways. VS: why can't you have general splits? The underlying architecture allows them, it's just the UI architecture that doesn't allow you to create them. Vim: having each window allow a full view of any buffer is confusing. I would like to be able to limit a window somehow to a given file.

In any case, they are different worlds, difficult to reconcile, and hopefully we will converge to better solutions in the future, but this is years away. I certainly hope so.

Regards,

-- Jon