Re: "." is broke

The "." key, which the vimeu docs correcty say is the single most useful command in vi/vim, does not work right.
For instance, position the cursor somewhere, type '4s' and type the characters you want to substitute.
Hit escape, navigate elsewhere, and hit '.'.
All it does is delete 4 characters, but does not do the previous substitution, as it should (check it in vim).

John, can you provide more info on your environment? The following details are necessary:

- OS (yes, there are certain things that behave differently in W2K and XP)
- VS version (you can get the full version string in Help|About)
- What other add-ins there are installed (even if they are not editor enhancers)
- What type of file you are editing: language and extension
- What version of ViEmu you are using

I've tested this in VS.NET 2003 and VS2005, with C++, C#, VB, J# and HTML. There may be some mistake, or it may be a difference in the environment. Please let me know your installation details so that I can fix it.

Best regards and thanks,

Jon

John,

- VS version : Microsoft Develoment Environment 2003 version 7.1.3088, .NET framework 1.1 version 1.1.4322 sp1
- What other add-ins there are installed: Qt add-in(s) for VS 2003.
- What type of file you are editing: language and extension: C++, file extension is .cpp
- What version of ViEmu you are using: ViEmu v2.0.24 (downloaded and installed today)

Even very simple uses of "." aren't working.
For instance, type 'i' to enter insert mode, type 'X', hit escape. An 'X' was inserted.
Hit '.', and the cursor moves back a space, nothing is inserted.

Thanks for your help,
John

John,

I'm thinking it may be the Qt addin. I will be downloading and testing it. Can you try to disable it to see whether it makes any difference?

Thanks,

Jon

Jon

OK, I unchecked the Qt.Net add-in, but I forgot to uncheck the 'startup' box in the 'Available Add-ins' list.
I restarted vs.net, thinking Qt.Net would not be loaded.
Now '.' works as expected, but then I looked at the addins list, and Qt.Net is not disabled, because I forgot to uncheck startup.

So now "." is working, but maybe it was not Qt.Net that was the problem.
Simply restarting vs.net seemed to fix it.

Well, at least it's working now, which is wonderful, but since it's not happening anymore I guess
we'll have a hard time tracking it down.

If it happens again I'll try to remember how it got into this state.

Thanks again,
John

Thanks to you. The order in which addins get loaded / intercept windows / set listeners on buffers may easily affect the behavior of '.'. I have downloaded the Qt kit and I'll have a look at it, to see whether I can figure out what the problem is. Let me know if you find a way to reproduce it.

Thanks,

Jon