Re: Repeatable crash in regular expression search

It seems that typing /^* [1] with viemu loaded causes Visual Studio (2005) to crash, and also, regular expressions with the ^ character don't seem to work as expected. In vim, regular expressions beginning with ^ ignore leading whitespace, while in viemu, the whitespace must be included as a part of the regular expression.

[1] In vim, the asterisk is treated as if it were escaped in this situation, so this search should find all lines beginning with the asterisk character.

Actually, there are two ViEmu problems there. One is that ViEmu's regular expression engine lacks a protection measure that vim does: repeat-specifiers on atoms that can match with zero-width. That gets the engine into an infinite loop, crashing the environment./

The other problem is that I didn't know ^ could match anywhere but at 'hard-bol' (the way I tend to call column zero, hard-beginning-of-line, as opposed to soft-beginning-of-line which is where the ^ motion takes you). An oversight on my part, and as I followed vim's documentation literally when implementing the regex engine, which doesn't mention it AFAIR, it ended up this way.

I'll post here when I have a fix for both issues.

jamarcus, I've checked, and (my) vim only matches ^ at column zero.

If it weren't this way, :g/^$/d wouldn't work as an idiom to remove all completely empty lines.

It's maybe a :set option, would be good to know which one - else I'll try to find it.

:g/^$/d only removes completely empty lines for me, too. (It doesn't remove lines with whitespace). As far as I can tell, I don't have any options set that would affect this.

And still "^a" matches a line starting like "   abc", that is, with spaces?

Strange. I installed a clean version of vim and that is no longer happening. It must have been something I did. Sorry about the confusion.

No problem, let me know if it happens again.