Re: ViEmu/SQL uninstall failed to restore SQL Man Studio keyboard bindings

Hi,

I've recently uninstalled ViEmu for SQL and subsequently certain previously clashing keyboard bindings have not been restored as I thought they would. For example F5 which usually executes a query has not been restored as well as Ctrl+R which hides/unhides the results window. I'm not sure if there are any others, but those are the two I use most frequently.

Could someone please help me in resolving this issue? It is proving to be a great source of frustration not being able to revert back to my old keyboard shortcuts.

I am new to using Vi and so removed ViEmu (in trial period) due to being slightly frustrated by my inabilities. I enjoyed using the add on and am contemplating giving it another try once my Vi skills are a bit more up to scratch, but this experience is causing me to rethink this.

Any help would be much appreciated

I just wanted to quickly provide a bit more context to the issue I'm having and what measures I've taken to try and resolve it.

So far I have tried the following without much luck as far as restoring the default keyboard shortcuts in SQLMS:

1) Uninstalled and reinstalled ViEmu for SQLMS
2) Uninstalled and reinstalled SQLMS
3) Found and deleted a few leftover registy entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Shell\ViEmu registry folder.
4) Attempted a system restore to a point before the ViEmu installation.

I may have tried other things that I've forgotten about as I've been trying to resolve this for almost a solid day now.

This is becoming hugely frustrating as I've realised that along with the Ctrl+R and F5 keyboard shortcuts I've also lost the ability to copy and paste (Ctrl+C & Ctrl+V)!

I really hope someone can help me out on this issue.

Hello,

Indeed, there can be some problems with keybindings when uninstalling ViEmu/SQL. I apologize for that, part of the reason is that SQL Server Management Studio keybinding management is undocumented, so there is no good way of handling the issue.

The simplest way to fix it is to make SSMS restore default keybindings. These are stored in .VSK files, rather than in the registry. The default schemes are usually kept in the "Program Files" directory, while the customized files are kept in your own per-user config file area. I'd suggest searching for "vsk" in your user area (under "C:\Users" in Vista and Win7, under "C:\Documents and Settings" in XP), and deleting these files.

This issue has been brought up a number of times, here is an old thread on the forums:

http://www.viemu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=132

It doesn't actually show the solution of removing the VSK files (it describes another one that used to work in the past).

Also, here is an explanation I sent to another customer, for SQL Server 2005. The solution suggested is probably unnecessary, just erasing the per-user copy is probably enough to force SSMS to reset the bindings:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

This happened to someone else and this is the forum thread handling the problem:

http://www.viemu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=132

As you can see, the method I suggested didn't fix it, but he was able to fix it himself. Although I'm not 100% sure, I think that what he did is copy the original keybinding table from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\Standard.vsk into his configuration one (C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Shell\User.vsk). Either that, or removing User.vsk may do it.

If you can't fix it by following this instructions, please let me know so that I can try to help out.

Thanks for your interest in ViEmu and best regards,

Jon
NGEDIT Software

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully that will help you resolve the issue. Let me know if not and I'll look into it further.

Apologies for the problems, thanks and best regards,

-- Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your swift response! Your suggestion of deleting the .vsk files seems to have worked perfectly big_smile

I will certainly miss some of the functionality that ViEmu provided and I will definitely consider purchasing it once I become a bit more proficient with using Vim, especially knowing that the support provided on your product is very swift and efficient.

Thanks so much for the help.

Thanks to you. I'm glad it was easy to fix, and I'm sorry that it's necessary to resort to such "manual ways". The VS framework (used "under the hood" in SSMS) is not very amicable to add-ins managing keybindings transparently.

I hope you can enjoy vi/vim editing in the future, it's definitely comendable, and of course I'll also be glad if you decide to use ViEmu! If you are going to learn vim, apart from the many great resources out there, I'd definitely recommend my "Why vi" article and my graphical cheat sheet and tutorial:

http://www.viemu.com/a-why-vi-vim.html
  http://www.viemu.com/a_vi_vim_graphical_cheat_sheet_tutorial.html

You're very welcome, and best regards,

-- Jon

Just wanted to let you know that I had the same problem and I had to remove 2 files (User.vsk and Current.vsk) from "c:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Shell" folder. This may be related to the fact that I have some more SSMS addins and I'm running Vista smile

@Jon:
You might consider adding a warning about this problem and a link to solution displayed during uninstall.
This would save us some frustration plus ViEmu wouldn't lose reputation over MS issues smile

Cheers,
Pete

Last edited by pete (2010-02-26 09:14:24)

Pete, thanks much for the suggestion. I have taken note and I'll hopefully be able to implement this in a future version of ViEmu/SQL.

Regards,

-- Jon