Re: VS 2003 and VS 2005 key bindings using ViEmu v2.0.23

Thanks for a great editor.

In VS 2003, I can't set any key bindings.  I use F7 for build and F5 for debug, neither of which can be set.  I tried disabling viemu with ctrl-alt-shift-v and it didn't help.

In VS 2005 everything works fine.

Unfortunately I have to use both environments at the same time, so I set up the key bindings the same way.

Thanks for any help,
rob baynes

Hi Rob,

What is the current state of keybindings (Tools|Options|Keyboard)? What does Tools|Options|ViEmu->Keyboard show?

In any case, I recommend the following process to get everything in VS.NET 2003 to the state you want. I'm assuming you want the Visual C++ 6 scheme, which includes F7 for "Build" and F5 for "Debug":

(1) Remove everything done by ViEmu automatically to date:
  (1.1) Go to Tools|Options|ViEmu->Keyboard
  (1.2) Click "Restore" under the left list (say yes to the MsgBox)
  (1.3) Click "Forget" under the left list (say yes to the MsgBox)
  (1.4) Go to Tools|Options|Keyboard
  (1.5) Make sure that the current scheme is "ViEmu" (if not, select it from the combo box)
  (1.6) Click "Delete" to delete the scheme
  (1.7) Select "Visual C++" from the list
  (1.8) Click 'Ok'

Now, everything should be clean again. Let's make ViEmu rescan the keyboard and remove & save the clashing keybindings (this shouldn't remove the F5 and F7 bindings):

(2.1) Go to Tools|Options|ViEmu->Keyboard
  (2.2) Make sure the list of keys to scan for clashes is to your taste:
           "Default" doesn't remove Ctrl-V/Ctrl-C for Copy/Paste, "All" removes those too - click on the desired button
  (2.3) Click on "Save and remove"

Now, the left list should be populated with the removed bindings, and the right list should be empty. Everything should be fine.

I also suggest that you download 2.0.33, available from another post in the forum (or from the main download link). You need to manually uninstall ViEmu 2.0.23 before installing this one (doesn't matter whether before or after following the above procedure), but it has many bugfixes and improvements.

Let me know if something doesn't work as expected.

That works, Thanks!

Before I deleted the viemu key bindings that were created when it was installed, there were empty lists on both the left and right.  Maybe that was the problem ?

Here is the sequence I used when I built this machine (just last week):
1) install VS 2005, pick C++ key bindings
2) install viemu 2.0.23
3) install VS 2003, pick C++ key bindings.

I hope that helps.

rob

Rob,

I'm pretty sure there is a bug in the initial keybinding management logic. It's pretty hard to get, as the startup sequence in Visual Studio is largely undocumented, but I hope I'll be able to fix it in a later release. It's always solvable, but the steps are too confusing and cumbersome.

I've seen that symptom (both lists empty) only with VS.NET 2003, when ViEmu is installed right after VS, without having ever started up the enviroment. But not in VS2005.

I also know for sure that I need to implement a completely new keybinding management scheme for the next major release of ViEmu, and I already have an idea of how (using window hooks), but it will still take quite some work.

Thnaks for the feedback,

Jon