Re: ViEmu - /search<enter> not working, VS .NET 2003

First let me say that I *love* ViEmu so far.  It's exactly what I've been looking for.

However, searching through a file with / is not working.

Using incsearch, I can search, and it will find things.  However, hitting enter does not seem to stop the search and put me back in normal mode.  It seems to completely ignore the enter keypress.  The only way I can stop a search once started is to hit Esc, which of course brings me back to where I was, not the search result.

I'm also using Visual Assist X, if that could have anything to do with it.

Keybindings window shows no clashing keybindings.

Thanks for the help, and the great product.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your kind comment. It could very easily be a conflict with Visual Assist. Although I strive to keep it compatible with Visual Assist and other 3rd party addins, and although ViEmu already has many, many provisions to have it coexist peacefully with them, I'm sure there are still cases which are not covered.

Can you check the whether Enter is bound to its regular Edit.BreakLine command in Tools|Options|Keyboard? Since the keypress box won't accept Enter, please type "Edit.BreakLine" in the command box above, and check the bindings it has in the dropdown box. My VS.NET 2003 installation shows the following keypresses assigned to the command:

Enter (Text Editor)
  Enter (Windows Forms Designer)
  Shift+Enter (Text Editor)

Once you check this, please let me know (as well) what language you are working in (although I guess it is C++), as it often makes a difference.

The best way to fix it, in any case, will be that I send you an instrumented build of ViEmu, so that you can reproduce the bug and generate a log file, and send it to me for inspection. I'll get in touch with you by e-mail in a short while to provide you with a link to download the instrumented version and further instructions.

Best regards,

Jon

PD: Please let me know as well what exact version of ViEmu and of Visual Assist you are using

I have the exact same results:
Enter (Text Editor)
Enter (Windows Forms Designer)
Shift+Enter (Text Editor)

edit: It does in fact seem to be a VisualAssist problem -- if I disable VA, Enter works normally.
edit 2: After disabling/reenabling VisualAssist, Enter works normally.  A bit of a mystery, but it works.

However, one important thing to note:  Ctrl-Enter works to finish a search.  I'd prefer to use Enter as it's more natural, and like vi, but this will work in the meantime.

ViEmu version 2.0.24

Visual Assist info:
VA_X.dll file version 10.2.1445.0  built 2006.04.12
Licensed to:
  VA X: ******** (5-user license) Support ends 2007.05.27
  VA.NET 7.1:
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.2.4
VATE.dll version 1.0.4.15
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 2.0.2638.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
Single processor

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\include;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\atlmfc\include;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\prerelease;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\include;

Library Includes:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\atlmfc\src\mfc;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\atlmfc\src\atl;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\crt\src;

Other Includes:

And yes, the language I'm working in is C++.

Last edited by jlongstreet (2006-10-04 18:43:06)

Thanks for the detailed info. Does it now reliably work every time you restart the environment? Or do you need to disable/enable Visual Assist again to fix it?

If the fix is not stable, please let me know so that I send you the instrumented build to investigate further.

Unfortunately, both Visual Studio and Visual Assist are pretty "undocumented", and I always have to deduce what's happening by tracing logs, etc... this has proven successful in the past, but there's always the chance that new scenarios will bring out other interaction problems. I am all for making ViEmu fully compatible with Visual Assist and other 3rd party add-ins, though - I don't use them myself but many of my customers do.

Although Ctrl-Enter is usable, it's not nice and it's an annoyance. I'd like to fix it. I can understand why Ctrl-Enter works, as ViEmu just accepts it to accept the command line, and not being bound in Visual Studio just lets it get to ViEmu.

And, by the way, I recommend you upgrade to 2.0.34 - linked to from another post in this forum. It has many fixes and improvements since 2.0.24 (nothing related to the behavior of Enter, though).