Re: SqlPrompt

I'm having a number of problems in SQL Management Studio related to ViEmu interactions with SqlPrompt. The worst thing that happens is that when you paste code in the edit window something is trying to reformat the new contents and this, at best, messes up my code, at worst crashes ViEmu. Do you have any information about interactions with this produce?

Apologies for the delay in responding. Can you provide a bit more information on the context? Are you using ViEmu/VS in VS, or ViEmu/SQL in SQL Server Management Studio? (I understand SQL Prompt works with both). What version of VS, or of SQL Server? Is there a specific sequence of steps that will reproduce the problem, or is it so simple to reproduce that basic manipulation will cause a crash?

I'm taking a note of this and I will look into it as soon as possible. Interactions with other 3rd party tools are common, mainly due to limitations in VS's and SSMS's extensibility model, and they are often hard to diagnose and fix, although I try to keep things sane with the most used 3rd party add-ins.

Regards,

-- Jon

ViEmu/SQL in SSMS 2008 but I think it did the same thing in SSMS 2005.

The biggest problem is related to pasting. Even a single line of code can get messed up and it tries to auto-indent the pasted line.
But if you past 3 or more lines then one of three things happens: nothing abnormal; something throws an exception; the lines get reformatted with tabs inserted at apparently random places in the lines of code.

There are a couple other oddities which happen when updating code, such as the way single quotes disappear as you are editing a literal - its trying to help and it works well on straight insert but gets funny when you edit.

If you want I can get the details of the exception. I passed it on to the SqlPrompt folks but did not get details back.

I try to remember to turn SqlPrompt off when I paste a bunch of code; otherwise I save and close the buffer and start editing the file again and everyone is happy for awhile.

After the exception things work pretty normal except for a few ViEmu features - the main thing that does not work is undo.

Ok Stephen, thanks for the info. It is a horrible scenario to have to remember anything before you paste. I will try to repro it and get back to you, hopefully with a fix.

Regards,

-- Jon