Re: Feature request: really fold everything with zM

I'm terribly frustrated by the fact that there is no way in VS with or without ViEmu to fold all of the classes in a c# file. Typically, I have only one class per file, but when I write tests, this is not the case:

namespace blahblahblah
{
   public abstract class concern  { ... }

public class When_calculating_average : concern { ... }

public class When_the_square_root_is_an_integer : concern { ... }

}

When I have 10 classes in the file, I have to fold each one manually, because zM only folds the blocks within each class, rather than everything in the file. Ideally, zM would fold it all up, except the outermost fold that contains folds (so the using directives would get folded, but the namespace declaration would not).

Also, it would be nice if zo and zc were not the same (both toggling); rather that zo had no effect when the closest fold is already open and zc had not effect when it is already closed.

Thank you!

Jay, you are right, and I should implement proper folding/unfolding behavior in ViEmu for this to work well. Visual Studio doesn't expose commands to implement the behavior you want (only toggling is exposed), although it does expose APIs to access each outline/fold. I am taking note of the request, and I'll hopefully be able to provide it in a future version.

Regards,

-- Jon

Oh, please do.  VS's "outlining" is an abortion.  As is its indenting/outdenting.  As is its....oh, I'll just stop there.   But the damned thing's in its six or seventh version now, so Microsuck should've been able to follow their usual path and get it reasonably close to acceptable behavior.  Seems like they just blinded themselves staring into the brilliance of their poster-child feature (Intellisense, which is rightfully regarded as very good) and lost the ability to see any other possibilities for improvement.

I've never really been a user of folding, so I can't comment. But it does seem like a very limited and simplistic system. Vim's is much more powerful and complex, I guess everyone uses it in their own way. Hopefully we will be able to help with this in the future, via ViEmu, Codekana, or both.

Regards,

-- Jon