Re: Trying out Dvorak Simplified Keyboard, Key Remapping

I am trying out a new keyboard layout. Is it possible to remap all of the commands like Insert, Delete Line, ect?

I was toying with the very same idea quite recently, but kind of gave up before I started because of all the shortcut hassle across quite a few apps. Would be interested in your findings if your persevere...

CrazyTn wrote:

I am trying out a new keyboard layout. Is it possible to remap all of the commands like Insert, Delete Line, ect?

I would advise against remapping the keyboard, due to problems that may occur across other applications. I use the dvorak keyboard layout, and even though I learned the original vim keymappings  using the qwerty layout it took only a couple of weeks of use to get back up to speed on the key mappings when I changed. I don't find it at all hard to use the mappings as they are.
If you weigh the learning time (2 weeks give or take) against a lifetime of coding, it is a small investment for a great return.

I've been tempted to take up Dvorak myself, but decided against just because I don't want to specialize so much! A vi/vim emulator is niche enough, I don't want to go so minority that I end up designing products for just 3 other people in the world smile

In any case, Paul, thanks so much for providing your feedback!

ViEmu nowadays should allow any remapping you want to apply, be it single- or multiple-key. Let me know if something is not doable.

Regards,

-- Jon