Re: . bug with autocomplete in XML

Hi,
There is a problem with handling '.' in XML pages when dealing with attributes. Assume the following lines
<asdf />
<qwer />

If I cursor to the end of the word 'asdf' and type afoo=bar<esc> I end up with

<asdf foo="bar" />
<qwer />

Now if I cursor to the end of the word 'qwer' and type . I end up with

<asdf foo="bar" />
<qwer foo=""bar />

Notice in the text that I typed in, I didn't put in any quotes, VS.net put these in for me.

I'm using VS2005 w/ 2.0.35 (happened in 2.0.30 as well)

thanks.

Hi,

Yes, that is a limitation of the "buffer-sensing" technology involved in input repetition in ViEmu 2.x. It is unable to distinguish closing tags/quotes/parenthesis inserted *after* the cursor position, so it replays them as if they happened at the cursor. I plan to fix this in a future release. Unfortunately, the only currently available workaround, that makes it behave consistently but lose the closing tags, is to disable automatic closing-tags insertion in Tools|Options|Text Editor|HTML.

The underlying technical reason is that ViEmu checks asynchronously for text inserted into the buffer and synchronously for caret movements. This is necessary, because the different language services do their operations at undetermined moments in time (an in general, just all over the place). The possible solution, which I'm still not sure how will work, is to check the caret position at the next keypress, instead of at the end of processing the current one.

OK, I'll just turn off the vs.net "Feature" for now. thanks.