Re: CTRL-P behaiviour

Hi

In vim, I can use CTRL-P to auto complete, even in comments or strings. This doesn't work for me in ViEmu.
  Is this a bug? feature?

Thanks

Ronnie

Ronnie, the current autocompletion in ViEmu invokes VS's intellisense autocompletion. I plan to add vim style "filescan autocompletion", it's a common request and I also miss it myself.

Thanks

That would be a great addition to an already great app. thanks smile

It would be great if it was an option that toogles between vs´s intellisense autocompletion and vim style autocompletion by context.

ilgenio, thanks for the suggestion - I was thinking along the lines of using Ctrl-Space to invoke VS's own autocompletion (as it's a VS keybinding) and Ctrl-N/Ctrl-P to invoke vim-style filescan autocompletion. Do you think that would be enough? Using context could prove quite difficult (although my other product Codekana could provide such a context through a ViEmu-Codekana bridge...)

admin wrote:

I was thinking along the lines of using Ctrl-Space to invoke VS's own autocompletion (as it's a VS keybinding) and Ctrl-N/Ctrl-P to invoke vim-style filescan autocompletion. Do you think that would be enough? Using context could prove quite difficult (although my other product Codekana could provide such a context through a ViEmu-Codekana bridge...)

That would be great! This is the feature that I miss very much and your suggestion is exactly what has been in my mind for a while: Ctrl-Space => VS Intellisense, Ctrl-N/Ctrl-P => vim-like context-sensitive completion.

We produce C++ code that is heavily templetized and the Intellisense is completely useless in this case. The vim-like completion would be sufficient for us...

I beg for such an extension...

Tom

PS: I hope that by "filescan autocompletion" you mean context-sensitive completion where the context is defined by the currently edited file together with all header files transitively included in it (c++)... Just like the completion works in vim.

Hi Tom,

Indeed, I meant that Ctrl-N/Ctrl-P will operate like they do in vim. I've been planning the roadmap for the next releases, and it is included there, so we'll all finally be able to enjoy it in probably a few months (me included!) smile

I will be launching a ViEmu-specific blog in the next few days, and I'll post about all these kinds of details, so watch out here on the forum and on my current blog (http://blog.ngedit.com) for an update on my plans on this area very soon.

Cheers,

Jon

Is there an update on this?

I sorely miss filescan completion from vim, it would be especially useful in Management Studio since it doesn't have intellisense at all!

Filescan completion is one of vim's most useful features, I'm very hesitant to shell out the dough for two editions of ViEmu (VS and SQL) if it will not be added in a future version (it's been "planned" for 3.5 years!!): If I pay you $159 for ViEmu now, will filescan completion be available in 12 months (within the free upgrade period), or will I have to pay for another $159 license in 13, 14, 15 months?

Of course if ViEmu was open source I suspect some stranger would have already implemented it for free, but I don't want to make you feel guilty about it wink I want to give you my money in exchange for a great product, but this really is a deal breaker.

Last edited by brianpeiris (2010-04-17 16:34:49)

Brian, my apologies. You're right, this has been left out for so long. I've done an initial design, and I will definitely have this in the next major version of the ViEmus. I'm just finished preparing all the ViEmu 2.5s and Codekana 1.5, next comes ViEmu for VS2010, but during that time I will find a gap to implement this. I totally understand that it will be great in SQL Server.

BTW, if you want to check out the ViEmu 2.5 and Codekana 1.5 betas, you can check them here:

http://www.symnum.com/beta2.html

My apologies again and regards,

-- Jon

Thanks for the response Jon, glad to see that you haven't given up on the feature and I look forward to seeing it in an upcoming release.
I wouldn't normally pay so much for software but, damn, ViEmu makes my life so much easier already, even more so when filescan completion is added.
You can expect a purchase from me in a week or so.

Thanks much for the kind comment, Brian, and this will really be ready very soon, after ViEmu 2.5, Codekana 1.5 and ViEmu/VS2010 are released, which are very-high priority and due very, very soon (ViEmu 2.5 and CK 1.5 this week, ViEmu/VS2010 in a matter of weeks).

And I'm really happy ViEmu is so helpful for you!

I just started using ViEmu today (a great software, btw) and this issue really hurts. Intellisense does not work in my scenario, although it will probably be available in VS 2010 and not being able to use proper Ctrl-P is not good. Hope to see it implemented soon.

Ntrif, indeed, the plan is to have this in the short-term, soon after ViEmu 2.5 and ViEmu/VS2010 are released, which will be ready in a matter of weeks. I'll notify by email when it's ready.

I agree that this is one of my most-missed features from original Vim and would love to see it included in ViEmu.

+1, I really miss this.

I have been a ViEmu user for more than one year, and I would also really appreciate this feature.

Better late than never - the latest ViEmu 3.0 finally provides this feature in VS, SQL Server and even Word & Outlook! Hope y'all can still enjoy it smile

Sorry it took so long!

Really nice - thanks for adding that in!