Re: Visual Studio 2010

Please include me for the beta also.

I'm a long time Vim user in the Linux world moving to VS for my new job. The prospect of quality Vim bindings in VS is a godsend. Unfortunately, we're using VS2010, so the new version can't come soon enough.

Please include me in the beta (or apha, or anything remotely usable  smile)   Thanks.

Last edited by Eric Tetz (2010-05-17 04:41:16)

I'll email everyone as soon as the dust settles down a bit, but in case anyone's watching here: ViEmu/VS2010 Beta 1 ready:

http://www.viemu.com/blog/2010/05/18/viemu-for-visual-studio-2010-beta-1-ready/

All feedback is welcome.

Hey Jon

You're da ma-a-a-n ;-)

Excellent, brilliant, fantastic - truly a Godsend! I cannot believe I survived for all this time without it ;-). Seriously though, this is great news, many thanks. I'm loving it (as I did before).

Two small things, your punishment for asking for feedback ;-)
1) Every time it asks me for the licence key. I enter the one I got from Symnum by converting my current viemu licencse and it then works, but on subsequently running VS it asks again even though it shows it as still pasted into the license area. VS does run and ViEmu does work though.

2) Does this beta support the _viemurc file? If I put this in my home directory I get an error:
The 'ViEmuTen.ViEmuTenPackage, ViEmuTen, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' package did not load correctly.
After this, VS loads but without ViEmu.

Obviously would be great to get an answer especially to the second issue but these are both minor - just *love* having ViEmu back again.

Many thanks
Pete.

Hi Jon

Ok, second issue partly solved by recording a VS macro and running that instead of using _viemurc, but I'm having some trouble mapping 'alt' key combinations. E.g. in my _viemurc I have:

map <a-j> 4<down>zz

so that pressing Alt-j moves the cursor down by 4 lines and centers the view.
Standard mapping (without alt) works, e.g.

map j <down>zz

but not with alt. Is this supported in the beta?

Thanks
Pete.

Pete, I'll look into those. License should be saved, if it isn't, it's a bug. _viemurc should be processed, also, if it isn't, it's a bug. The Alt-J mapping won't work now, only Ctrl-* keys are supported in the beta. We'll have to expand that. The VS input system keeps being problematic.

Regards, and thanks!

-- Jon

Pete, also, can you send me or post your _viemurc to try and repro the problem? Thanks! - Jon

When we find bugs in the beta where should we submit them?

Either here, or via the support form, or to any of my email addresses, it's fine. They all end up in my email inbox smile

Regards,

-- Jon

It looks great so far.

One thing that is killing me though is the fact that Ctrl-[ does not act like Esc (change back to normal mode).  I use that exclusively.  Not sure how people can stand hitting Esc all the time smile.

I'm seeing weird behavior with shift-L, shift-M, and shift-H as well.  The cursor is moving, but not correctly.

Thanks.

Using Esc is not so bad. The freely downloadable "Windows Server 2003 Tools" include a utility called RemapKey.exe which lets you, well, remap keys on your keyboard (old Windows, XP, Vista, Windows 7 - works on all of them). Many people (like myself) have swapped around the Esc and Caps-Lock keys, which makes hitting the newly positioned Esc key easy.

The reason for this choice is that when VI was created (decades ago), keyboards had the Escape key in the current location of the Caps-Lock key, which makes it a sensible mapping. But I fully agree, hitting Esc "up there" is a pain, thus the remapping. The remapping takes a bit of getting used to, but given that I spend most of my waking hours behind a screen it makes it worthwhile.

Cheers
Pete.

Hi Jon

Just a small issue: Within brackets/braces, e.g. { cursor here }
     di{
or
     di}
works as expected, but clear "ci{" correctly clears the inner contents and enters insert mode, but adds 2 'z' characters (zz).

Using "all" instead of "inner", i.e. "da{" or "ca{" shows the same behavior.

Cheers
Pete.

Hi Jon

I have 'j' and 'k' mapped as follows:
   map j <down>zz
   map k <up>zz
so that my code view is always centered vertically.

When there are collapsed #region sections, two things happen:
1) As I scroll over it (j/k) it expands automatically.
2) If there are any collapsed code sections above the cursor, it no longer remains vertically centered. If there are many collapsed sections above it, the cursor remains at the top of the screen. Even 'zz' doesn't correct this. It does work however when all #region sections are fully expanded but that kind of defeats their purpose ;-)

Cheers
Pete.

Pete, indeed, collapsed regions / code folding / wrapped lines are not supported by this release. Will be there for the official release. Sorry about that sad

No worries ;-). I read it again afterwards on the release page. It's still great to have it back - helps me with my own deadlines ;-)

Hello,
Thanks for getting this out.  There was another addin --VsVim -- that was nowhere near as capable as ViEmu.

Two things:
-- It appears that you can't use the vim nav keys when debugging.  Perhaps this is a setting that hasn't been implemented yet (or maybe it's a VS setting I forgot about...?)

-- Coincidence isn't causality....  but after installing the ViEmu beta, the next time I started VS2010 there were "out of memory" exceptions in the Solution Explorer window.  Once closing the Solution Explorer window, I couldn't reopen it.  I also have Resharper 5.0 installed, so maybe there is an interaction there.

I could restart VS 2010 in SafeMode, but of course all the addins are disabled.

Hi,

I'm getting an issue with the VS2010 beta 1 where the solution explorer shows the following error message at startup:

An exception was encountered while constructing the content of this frame.  This information is also logged by running the application with the /log parameter on the command line, which stores results in "C:\Documents and Settings\mdohert8\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ActivityLog.xml".

Exception details:
System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.
   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(Int32 errorCode)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.ConstructContent()

Obviously at this point I'm not doing anything complicated as all I did was open visual studio 2010.

Details about my installation are as follows:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Version 10.0.30319.1 RTMRel
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.0.30319 RTMRel

Installed Version: Ultimate

Microsoft Office Developer Tools   01019-532-2002102-70869
Microsoft Office Developer Tools

Microsoft Visual Basic 2010   01019-532-2002102-70869
Microsoft Visual Basic 2010

Microsoft Visual C# 2010   01019-532-2002102-70869
Microsoft Visual C# 2010

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010   01019-532-2002102-70869
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010

Microsoft Visual F# 2010   01019-532-2002102-70869
Microsoft Visual F# 2010

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Architecture and Modeling Tools   01019-532-2002102-70869
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Architecture and Modeling Tools

UML® and Unified Modeling Language™ are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Object Management Group, Inc. in the United States and other countries.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Code Analysis Spell Checker   01019-532-2002102-70869
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Code Analysis Spell Checker

Portions of International CorrectSpell™ spelling correction system © 1993 by Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V. All rights reserved.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright © 1992 Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V. All rights reserved.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Team Explorer   01019-532-2002102-70869
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Team Explorer

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010   01019-532-2002102-70869
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010

AnkhSVN - Subversion Support for Visual Studio   2.1.8420.8
AnkhSVN - Subversion Support for Visual Studio 2.1.8420.8
* Ankh.Package 2.1.8420.8
* Subversion 1.6.11 via SharpSvn 1.6011.1539.9366

SharpSvn is linked to: Apr 1.3.12, Apr-util 1.3.9, Neon 0.29.3, OpenSSL 1.0.0 29 Mar 2010, serf 0.3.1, SQLite 3.6.23, Subversion 1.6.11-SharpSvn-tag-1.6.11@936627, ZLib 1.2.4
SharpSvn is dynamically linked to: Cyrus Sasl 2.1.23
SharpSvn is optionally linked to: Berkeley DB 4.4.20, SharpPlink 1.6011.1539.9366

Crystal Reports Templates for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010   
Crystal Reports Templates for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010

JetBrains ReSharper 5   Full Edition build 5.0.1659.36 on 2010-04-13T02:19:06
JetBrains ReSharper 5 package for Microsoft Visual Studio. For more information about ReSharper, visit http://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/. Copyright © 2003–2010 JetBrains, Inc.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SharePoint Developer Tools   10.0.30319
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SharePoint Developer Tools

ViEmu (Symnum Systems S.L.U.)   1.0
ViEmu: Vi/vim emulation for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010. (c) 2005-2010 Symnum Systems S.L.U. Please visit http://www.viemu.com for details.

Hope you can help.

Mike

Mike, can you let us know what Window version you are using? Other people reporting the issue are using Win7 64-bit edition, maybe it's related. Thanks!

I'm almost too embarrassed to admit it but it's Windows XP 32bit smile

Mike, it's ok, I also use WinXP 32-bit at my desktop at the home office smile

Good to discard Win7-64b as a cause. Thanks!

Mike, we have installed all the packages you list, and it still doesn't fail. Can you send us a list or capture of what extensions you have installed in Extension Manager? That could be the cause. Thanks!

Maybe It only breaks for people named "Mike"!

All of these are install via the Extension Manager except for DevExpress Tools
"AllMargins"
"Format Document"
"PowerCommands for Visual Studio 2010"
"Visual Studio Color Theme Editor"
"VsVim" [Disabled]
"Word Wrap with Auto-Indent"

I've tried disalbing all of these except for DevExpress and still got the same Out of Memory Exception.

- other Mike

I've been getting a lot of crashing since I installed the beta, here are a couple errors from the ActivityLog.xml file I got just from scrolling through a file with my scrollwheel (these just popped up an error, and didn't crash VS2010).

2010/05/19 14:36:42.113
System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Editor.Implementation.CaretElement.get_Top()
at HubTen.ViCaret.UpdateCaret()
at HubTen.ViCaret.ViewLayoutChanged(Object sender, TextViewLayoutChangedEventArgs e)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.GuardedOperations.RaiseEvent[TArgs](Object sender, EventHandler`1 eventHandlers, TArgs args)
2010/05/19 14:36:42.125
System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.
at HubTen.ViCaret.ViewLayoutChanged(Object sender, TextViewLayoutChangedEventArgs e)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.GuardedOperations.RaiseEvent[TArgs](Object sender, EventHandler`1 eventHandlers, TArgs args)
2010/05/19 14:36:48.401
at HubTen.ViCaret.GotFocus(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.GuardedOperations.RaiseEvent(Object sender, EventHandler eventHandlers)

I am running Windows 7 64-bit.  If I get another VS2010 crash I will post the errors from that too.

Arhughes, thanks for the info, we'll look into it and post back here. Hopefully a Beta 2 in a few days will get rid of the most pressing issues.

Hi,

In response you the question about the extensions that I have installed ViEmu is the only extension.

Mike