Re: Visual Studio 2010

mikedoherty wrote:

Hi,

I'm getting an issue with the VS2010 beta 1 where the solution explorer shows the following error message at startup:

An exception was encountered while constructing the content of this frame.  This information is also logged by running the application with the /log parameter on the command line, which stores results in "C:\Documents and Settings\mdohert8\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ActivityLog.xml".

Exception details:
System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.
   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(Int32 errorCode)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.ConstructContent()

<snip>

Mike

This is the same error I saw running on Windows Server 2008 32 bit (my VM).  I had Resharper 5.0 and the PowerCommands extension installed.
I had to completely reinstall VS2010 to clear up the problem.

Arhugues, Number8, we have found and fixed those, and they will be ok in the next release. Hopefully quite soon.

admin wrote:

Arhugues, Number8, we have found and fixed those, and they will be ok in the next release. Hopefully quite soon.

Which issues did you fix? The solution explorer problem?

MikeDoherty, not yet, I meant the "random background exceptions". But we've been able to repro the solution explorer bug... I'll email you in a while. Thanks!

It would also help to provide a comparison between this implementation and the one from Jared Par: http://blogs.msdn.com/jaredpar/

I've been using ViEmu and it's been a life saver, and I'm happy that there is going to be an upgrade price, because this extension appears to be more mature.

It would be helpful if this could be published to the built-in Extension Manager in VS2010. It would get more visibility.

My comparison is ViEmu is significantly more complete. It's easy enough to try them both yourself.

Last edited by mphafner (2010-05-21 12:40:19)

mphafner wrote:

My comparison is ViEmu is significantly more complete. It's easy enough to try them both yourself.

I am currently using VsVim while waiting for the next version of ViEmu; I agree, ViEmu is far more useful.  I often switch to SlickEdit due to VsVim's shortcomings.

SlickEdit would be my first choice editor, but it doesn't have .Net and SL 4 support to match the VS2010/Resharper combination.

Thanks all for chipping in. I think it wouldn't be fair for me to compare both. I actually haven't tried VsVim, although I did have a look at the web site and at the feature list. JaredPar, the author of VsVim, is actually a long-time ViEmu customer, and I am only sympathetic to his effort, given we've been so late with ViEmu/VS2010. In our defense, this version is more a rewrite to .NET managed code and the new WPF/MEF editor, and it will allow us to provide great features which will only be apparent over the next few years. The shortest route would have stayed as native C++ and COM, but we took the road that provides the best outlook for the future.

I'd like to think that the main difference is that ViEmu is a professional offering, not perfect, of course, but we are investing, and will invest, a lot of hours making sure it works fine with all languages, Resharper, Visual Assist, and generally doing a lot of dirty work to make sure the experience is great. The vi/vim core in ViEmu/VS2010 is the same as in the other ViEmus, it's about half the codebase, and it's nowadays quite complete, with quite wide ex support, single- and multiple-key mappings, our own vim-compatible regex engine, etc... and we will keep improving it in the future.

ViEmu also has a 5-year track record of being there and updated to new versions of Visual Studio and to new quirks in the most popular 3rd party add-ins. We plan to keep that for 5 more years, if not much more. I like to think that ViEmu has a track record of giving great value for money, and good and reliable support and maintenance. Although a vi/vim emulator will never be a big hit, I hope this history will ensure having trust from customers for future offerings. And rather than direct commercial considerations, it is the reason that we plan to be a reliable provider for vi/vim needs for developers for many years to come.

Actually, July 25 will be the fifth anniversary of the release of ViEmu 1.0, and I should plan something for the occasion. Let's see if I come up with something enjoyable for all.

Thanks everyone for your support!

-- Jon

And I've discovered the same thing. I am so much of a vi/vim user that I jumped on the first thing I found. It was a day later I see that there was finally a VS2010 version from here.

And this is definitely farther along and a better implementation. Switched over and am quite happy. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Digicoder! I hope you will like ViEmu/VS2010 even much more moving forward. Regards, -- Jon

So, here we go: ViEmu/VS2010 Beta 2 ready. It fixes the worst problems. Details & download here:

http://www.viemu.com/blog/2010/05/22/viemu-for-visual-studio-2010-beta-2/

Thank you very much for the beta.
I've tested VsVim, but ViEmu is playing in another league. I'd consider VsVim as some sort of "proof-of-concept".

Thanks Jnz for your comment and for providing your view on VsVim.

Thanks for the beta.  Feels great to be back in vi land
I have one issue. The . command does not work for entered text. When pressing . in normal mode a dot is inserted instead of repeating the last command.

Hello Jonas, thanks for the kind comment. Still, it's weird, because the dot command works fine here and in most situations. Can you provide more background on the file type, other 3rd party add-ins, etc... so that we can look into it? Regards, -- Jon

Im running VS 2010 professional with Visual Assist and editing .cpp and .h files. It works for normal commands like delete or paste but as soon as there has been keyboard input in the command it fails  iabc<esc>. becomes ab.c

Ok Jonas, we'll check it and hopefully it is easy to reproduce, and fix. We have tested it with Visual Assist but there are some issues yet. It's definitely a scenario we will fix during the beta progress and before the official release. Regards, -- Jon

After I installed ViEMU beta 1, my cursor does not show reverse video anymore.  It has become really hard to see my cursor now.  I have resharper installed also.  I have tried changing resharper to highlight the current line.  That doesn't help to see the cursor but at least I can see the current line and start hunting from there for the cursor.  Any guesses as to resolve this?  I installed beta 2 and the problem still exists.

Jerry.

jnothstine wrote:

After I installed ViEMU beta 1, my cursor does not show reverse video anymore.  It has become really hard to see my cursor now.  I have resharper installed also.  I have tried changing resharper to highlight the current line.
Jerry.

I have seen the same behavior, but after closing and restarting VS2010, the normal mode cursor was back.

jnothstine, number8, we don't have reverse video cursor in ViEmu. This doesn't seem to be possible in WPF. Although we can try to find another workaround if the current MEF-based solution isn't valid. Can you post or email me screenshots of your workspace so I can try to understand how it is showing? Thanks!

admin wrote:

jnothstine, number8, we don't have reverse video cursor in ViEmu. This doesn't seem to be possible in WPF. Although we can try to find another workaround if the current MEF-based solution isn't valid. Can you post or email me screenshots of your workspace so I can try to understand how it is showing? Thanks!

I'll try to capture it next I see it happen.

Thanks much nr8, Jerry sent me the capture, I asked him to remove the R# current line marker, and the problem went away. Let's see if this time we can find a proper fix or work-around. Rgds, - Jon

Thanks for the update for VS2010.

Just wanted to add a note about a problem I've noticed -
Control-backspace doesn't delete whole words in insert mode. I checked my keyboard settings, and they're still set to Edit.WordDeleteToStart (Ctrl+Bkspce (Text Editor)) but I guess is being overridden somewhere by ViEmu?

I believe this worked in the ViEmu for VS2008. Thanks!

Beta 3 is ready:

http://www.viemu.com/blog/2010/05/25/viemu-for-vs2010-beta-3-and-other-viemus-254/

Main points: Ctrl-[ works for Escape, and a small fix in the "Enter-License-Key" dialog.

Keyboard modifiers in general seem to be swallowed by ViEmu in insert mode: Shift+right/left and Ctrl+right/left don't seem to work.