Re: Paste / Undo looses code (VS2010 Beta)

This one is killing me.  At first I couldn't figure out how to reproduce this, but I think I've got it now.  If you are coding along, P/p some code and then immediately 'u', it removes a ton of code...I think everything since you started editing the file.

Anyone else seeing this?

romangeeko wrote:

This one is killing me.  At first I couldn't figure out how to reproduce this, but I think I've got it now.  If you are coding along, P/p some code and then immediately 'u', it removes a ton of code...I think everything since you started editing the file.

Anyone else seeing this?

Yes, undo is dangerous.  It's granularity seems to be 'the last 10 minutes of editing', or 'since you last committed' or 'since you opened the file' or something...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one afraid of Undo.  Hopefully this is an easy fix...

Sorry about that. We'll look into this asap. - Jon

I need your help. We have managed to see it, but we can't reproduce it at will. Does anybody have a sequence steps that is guaranteed to reproduce this? It probably involves intermixing ViEmu-originated edits and non-ViEmu-originated edits (VS ones, or ones from other 3rd party add-ons). If we can't find a systematic reproduction system, we'll resort to activating logging and trying to deduce from the logs what happened, although this is very time-consuming. Thanks, - Jon

[nevermind, read the blog]

Last edited by wilbur4321 (2010-06-26 04:38:35)

Just in case anyone reads this, this issue was fixed back before the first official/non-beta release.

Jon_Symnum wrote:

Just in case anyone reads this, this issue was fixed back before the first official/non-beta release.

Could someone explain the algorithm for 'u[ndo]'?
Sometimes it undoes a single character edit, sometimes it removes a recently added line, sometimes it removes several edits and returns the file to the fully collapsed outline state....

Very annoying, as it seems utterly unpredictable.

VS2010 sp1, latest version if ViEmu.

(Despite its problems, VS2010 is very hard for me to use w/o ViEmu...)

Hi Number8

Like Jon_Symnum said a couple of post before maybe intermixing ViEmu-originated edits and non-ViEmu-originated edits (VS ones, or ones from other 3rd party add-ons).

Oshima_Symnum wrote:

Hi Number8

Like Jon_Symnum said a couple of post before maybe intermixing ViEmu-originated edits and non-ViEmu-originated edits (VS ones, or ones from other 3rd party add-ons).

Thanks for the reply.

My experiment, after reading Jon_Synum's post, involved only ViEmu/Vim actions -- yy, dd, p, P, o, O, typing characters in insert mode, u, etc.

And no, I don't have the exact stream of keystrokes to reproduce this, nor do I have the time to spend on documenting the exact stream of keystrokes and the timing between them to reproduce this.

Thanks Number8,

Dont worry, we are working in this issue, testing with several pieces of code, trying to find a sequence steps to reproduce this.