Re: Visual Studio 2010

Curious behavior with '/' when a match is found in a comment...

In normal mode, if I type '/', VS2010 searches incrementally forward.  To stop searching, I press "Enter", and the cursor remains at the matching string.

However, if the match is in a line comment, "Enter" acts as though it is in Insert mode; a new line is inserted, and I'm still in search mode.  The only way to get out of search mode is to press Esc, but then I'm taken back to the cursor position before the search started.

I don't know if this is ViEmu behavior, ReSharper behavior, VS2010 behavior, or an irritating interaction.

Has anyone else noticed this?

admin wrote:

Sdbarker: can you go to Tools|Options|Environment|Fonts&Colors and change "ViEmu visual selection" color? Also, do you have any other 3rd party add-in? Finally, using ViEmu|Set Keybindings should fix the C-u/C-d issue.

I changed the visual selection colors, but still have the issue.  Visual selection behaves normally in css files, but not in anything else.

Further, and I don't know if this is related or not, but I regularly get a null ref exception ("Object reference not set to an instance of an object.")  This happens when canceling a visual selection, C-u/C-d navigation, as well as other instances (though I don't have a list of them at the moment, I'll start to keep track if it will be helpful.)

And the C-u/C-d navigation was indeed fixed by the Set Keybindings menu item.

admin wrote:

Apologies to everyone for the time it's taking to have this finished. Great software takes time.

I've got no problem waiting!  I think we all completely understand that!

Has anyone else noticed a performance problem with the latest ViEmu beta? 
It takes "a while" for the problem to appear, but the editor gets very sluggish; for example, after typing '/' (in normal mode), each subsequent character takes 1 - 3 seconds.
Motion commands in normal mode are sluggish; it is easy to type way ahead of the editor in insert mode.

Nr8, we'll look into it. May it just be something that happened before but only now became apparent for you? Performance is not good with searches, etc... and this has been like that in all betas (we plan to address it of course!)

Regards, -- Jon

admin wrote:

Nr8, we'll look into it. May it just be something that happened before but only now became apparent for you? Performance is not good with searches, etc... and this has been like that in all betas (we plan to address it of course!)

Regards, -- Jon

Feels more like the problem that existed around beta 5 (?) -- everything goes along okay for a while  but then things get slower and slower.
Are there any diagnostics we can unearth to help you?  Log files?

Beta 8 is now out:

http://www.viemu.com/blog/2010/07/09/viemuvs2010-beta-8/

We'll look into the performance issues over the next few days. Apologies for the hassles.

-- Jon

admin wrote:

Beta 8 is now out:

http://www.viemu.com/blog/2010/07/09/viemuvs2010-beta-8/

We'll look into the performance issues over the next few days. Apologies for the hassles.

-- Jon

Beta 8 has been crashing VS2010 pretty regularly for me, with no real repro steps, it's just frequent and random unfortunately.

It also still exhibits the problem of the invisible visual selection highlighting in everything except .css.

Sdbarker, are you using any other 3rd-party add-in? The behavior you are describing looks like a serious interaction with some other tool. You can possibly go to Help|About, click "Copy Info", and paste the contents back here, which would show the details. Regards - Jon

admin wrote:

Sdbarker, are you using any other 3rd-party add-in? The behavior you are describing looks like a serious interaction with some other tool. You can possibly go to Help|About, click "Copy Info", and paste the contents back here, which would show the details. Regards - Jon

Just VS default components.  Here's the Copy Info results (with trimmed redundancies):

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Version 10.0.30319.1 RTMRel
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.0.30319 RTMRel

Installed Version: Ultimate

Microsoft Office Developer Tools
Microsoft Visual C# 2010
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Architecture and Modeling Tools
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Code Analysis Spell Checker
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Team Explorer
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010
Crystal Reports Templates for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SharePoint Developer Tools
ViEmu (Symnum Systems S.L.U.)   1.0.0.8
ViEmu: Vi/vim emulation for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010. (c) 2005-2010 Symnum Systems S.L.U. Please visit http://www.viemu.com for details.

sdbarker, does it happen with a particular type of file? Which kind of code do you work on? We are aware of issues with aspx files, for example...

Isaac_Symnum wrote:

sdbarker, does it happen with a particular type of file? Which kind of code do you work on? We are aware of issues with aspx files, for example...

That would do it; I'm working on a large front end project right now, so there is a lot of aspx work happening.  It also happens with the codebehinds and javascript files.

GREAT...>>!

Problem with '/' in xaml:
- In normal mode, press '/'
- Type characters, search works as expected
- Type <Backspace> - nothing happens.
- Type <Enter> (to end search) - nothing happens.
- Type <Esc> (to end search) - nothing happens.

I am pretty sure this is new in b8, and renders search forward unusable.  ('?' suffers from the same problems.)

Addins:
ReSharper 5
VS 2010 Prop Power Tools  10.0.10608.1630
Power Commands for VS 2010 1.0.2.2

Number8, I've installed all the components you have and am still not able to reproduce the search related bugs you report, the 'comments' line match and the xaml ones. Can you launch Visual Studio with the /log active and see if it shows any errors when the problem arises?

Isaac_Symnum wrote:

Number8, I've installed all the components you have and am still not able to reproduce the search related bugs you report, the 'comments' line match and the xaml ones. Can you launch Visual Studio with the /log active and see if it shows any errors when the problem arises?

I uninstalled b8, reinstalled b7, restarted VS2010; still things weren't working correctly.
Uninstalled b7; restarted VS 2010.
Reinstalled b8, restarted VS 2010.  (Not getting a lot of work done so far today...)

Problems seem to have gone away.

What I see with beta 8 is once a highlighted search is 'active', page-up and page-down (ctrl-F and B) are slow (page-up or -down takes a "full" second to execute).  Once I cancel the highlighted search results on the page with :noh, page-ups and downs are back to being instantaneous.

Besides that, I love it.  Been using the VS2008 version for a year or two - extremely happy to see the 2010 version of ViEmu!

RC1 is working great for me, although, I've actually been pretty happy since Beta 6. Many thanks again for a stunning tool. I wish my own project was at RC1 status ;-)

ViEmu/VS2010 RC1 is actually ready (sorry, forgot to post about it here):

http://www.viemu.com/blog/2010/07/16/viemuvs2010-release-candidate-1/

Silicon, thanks for your kind comment. I hope you do well with your project.

Kupo, the only thing we decided to "leave for later" about which I'm having second thoughts is the hlsearch slowness. I'll see if we can have that adressed for the final one / RC2.

RC2 ready, fully fixes the performance of hlsearch, even on my lowly but lovely white Asus EEE PC 1005 PE:

http://www.viemu.com/blog/2010/07/19/viemuvs2010-release-candidate-2/

Hope you love it. Let us know if not.

ViEmu/VS2010 officially released:

http://www.viemu.com/blog/2010/07/22/viemuvs2010-officially-released/

If you bought ViEmu over one year ago, just renew support for $29 here:

http://www.symnum.com/customer-area

We will fix the remaining issues and offer partial upgrades over the next few weeks. Let us know if anything acts up.

And thanks much for all the incredibly valuable feedback!

-- Jon

Jon_Symnum wrote:

ViEmu/VS2010 officially released:

http://www.viemu.com/blog/2010/07/22/viemuvs2010-officially-released/

If you bought ViEmu over one year ago, just renew support for $29 here:

http://www.symnum.com/customer-area

We will fix the remaining issues and offer partial upgrades over the next few weeks. Let us know if anything acts up.

And thanks much for all the incredibly valuable feedback!

-- Jon

Free or discounted licenses for folks that reported bugs and provided that valuable feedback? smile

Sdbarker, sure, let me get back to you tomorrow with some link. The upgrade mechanism is complex enough that I'm not really sure how to do it, and I'm incredibly tired right now. Regards, -- Jon

Jon_Symnum wrote:

Sdbarker, sure, let me get back to you tomorrow with some link. The upgrade mechanism is complex enough that I'm not really sure how to do it, and I'm incredibly tired right now. Regards, -- Jon

No worries at all, take your time!

Final release! Many congratulations Jon! You must be very tired... and relieved ;-). It's working great but I'm not sure when the licensing issues will kick in so please send me an interim license until the upgrade mechanisms are fully in place. Never want to be without it again ;-)

Many thanks Silicon/Peter, I will surely do so a bit later today! smile