Re: Feature request: CUA selections

CUA-style (regular Windows) shift+movement-key selection is not supported.

What's the hope of having this happen?  So far, this is my ONLY gripe while evaluating this otherwise excellent software!

--randy

Wilbur, I'll have a look at implementing it. A "partial implementation" using either vi mappings or VS's own handling might be simple enough.

Meanwhile, may I suggest vim's visual mode? It's the reason this feature is not so badly missed by other customers or by myself. You can enter visual mode by pressing 'v', and then move around, which will highlight the selected area. Then, any operator will act directly on the highlighted region ('y' to yank, 'd' to delete, 'gU' to make uppercase, etc...). You can use 'V' to enter linewise visual mode, or Ctrl+V to enter block visual mode, which gives you additional freedom (and you can switch between them while in visual mode by pressing v/V/^V directly).

Maybe you already knew about it and just miss CUA style selection, I only mention it because many vi users (not "vim") don't know about visual mode, which is a vim-specific extension (albeit a very, very useful one).

I'll get back to you though as soon as I can investigate the possibilities of "real" CUA-style selection.

Best regards,

Jon

Wilbur,

I've enabled "experimental" support for this in 2.0.47:

http://forums.ngedit.com/viewtopic.php?id=127

Let me know if something doesn't work fine.

Best regards,

Jon

Jon wrote:

Let me know if something doesn't work fine.

Jon,

This is great!  Very helpful.  There's one definite issue in it that you might want to think about fixing as it could confuse others.  When you start a selection via shift-left (or other arrow-type motion), and then let go of the shift, continuing to move causes the selection to expand.  That is, if I hit shift-ctrl-right, then ctrl-right, I have two words selected.  CUA behavior would say that I should have no words selected at this point.  No big deal for me, as any action such as Yank, Delete, etc, reverts out of selection mode.

Thanks!
--randy

Randy, this is a result of implementing it in a "cheap" way. Implementing it the "right" way would work fine and emulate vim's "select mode", which is similar to CUA selection, but would take quite some time.

Since most vi/vim users use visual mode instead of CUA-style selection, I'll leave this as is unless many people complain and put the time into other, more needed areas.

Thanks and best regards,

Jon