Re: vimrc

Is there a means, perhaps similar to vimrc, by which one can have commands "already" be in effect when viEmu starts up?  The example I have in mind is setting of nowrapscan to on.  There are probably a few others, too.

In case I simply missed the answer within the docs, please forgive my carelessness.  Thanks for your help.

Yep, you can have a "_vimrc" plain-text file in your home directory (see %HOMEDRIVE% and %HOMEPATH% in your environment), and ViEmu will execute it at startup. "set nowrapscan" will do what you want (either that, or "set wrapscan", I'm not sure exactly which way you prefer).

The file can also be called ".vimrc", but this is problematic for the windows shell, and it can also be in the installation directory, but this is not recommended.

Regards,

- Jon

[[ Edit: OOPS, it's _viemurc or .viemur, not vimrc. Sorry for the confusion! I've left it unfixed above so that the rest of the thread will make sense... ]]

Thank you for the explanation.  I assume you chose those path env vars so as to allow using VS/viEmu alongside the actual vim, which uses *other* env vars to find _vimrc.  I'd guess that a full-blown _vimrc suitable for vim itself could confuse viEmu and this is a simple way to avoid that... although I don't much like the use of different paths but the same filename for _vimrc.  If it needs to be distinct from a "real" vimrc file, then it should be named distinctly.  Cuz now I'll have two _vimrc files whose purposes can only be told apart by their locations.

Last edited by rretter (2010-08-19 18:29:20)

You can call your config file _viemurc or .viemurc

See "Initialization file: .viemurc":
http://www.ngedit.com/viemu_doc.html#ex

Oh, sorry, the name must be "_viemurc" or ".viemurc". I made a mistake above, it's not _vimrc or .vimrc.

Dave, thanks for chipping in!

Also, the env vars used to search for this just seemed sensible: ViEmu 1.0 only checked the program or install location, but that wasn't good for installations without admin privileges, or for the rare case where multiple users on the same machine may want to have different settings. Adding the home directory (HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH) seemed the only logical alternative. I'm happy to hear about other proposals!