Re: Performance Issues with Clipboard Operations

With the latest version of ViEmu for Visual Studio 2010 (2.5.7 at the time of writing), I've noticed some serious lag when performing actions that add things to the clipboard (y, x, d, etc.) and with pasting from the clipboard.  For large amounts of text (a couple hundred lines), it can take up to thirty seconds to paste.  Operations that do not involve the clipboard do not seem to be affected.

I really enjoy using ViEmu, but one of my primary reasons for using it is the speed boost it provides.  However, when it takes 5 seconds to delete each character with "x", those speed gains are pretty much erased.  Is this being worked on?

For reference, I've got a fairly powerful machine (Core i7, 9 Gb RAM, SSD primary hard drive), so I don't think it's a problem with my system not being able to keep up.

It is indeed a known issue with the current ViEmu/VS2010, and we are working on it. We definitely hope to fix this for the next release!

Thanks, Jon!  Looking forward to the fix!

We've managed to use a "batch edit" API in VS2010, and it's really fast now. I think it will end up being faster than ViEmu ever was on VS "Classic". This will be released in the next few days, we're really eager!

Awesome!  I'm psyched!

Have a look at this tentative new build, should be much, much faster:

http://www.viemu.com/ViEmuVS2010-2.5.8.vsix

It's a kind of "beta", unofficial, final release will come later this week.

Jon,

Even with the new version installed, I'm still seeing one- to two-second delay times on copy operations.  Do I need to configure something on my machine?

That definitely shouldn't happen. When do you get the delay, when doing 'yy', or when doing yG for a long file, or when selecting a visual range and doing y?