Re: Very slow scrolling using VS 2010

Hello,

This topic may already been discussed somewhere but I have unable to find it.

Anyways, while scrolling under VS 2010 using the j and k keys, scrolling can become extremely show at time.  While this is happening the CPU usage spikes until I stop pressing the keys.

Has anyone else see this?

Thanks.

I've seen it.  Scrolling seems to pause after moving ~1/2 page, then resumes, then pauses...

When this happens Visual Studio is almost unusable as simple scrolling up and down the page is tremendously slow.

Hopefully this will be corrected soon.

Indeed, we are looking into performance issues as a big part of the next release, together with the main pending options (visual-range / VS-selection integration, etc...). Expect something in this regard in the next very few weeks. Apologies meanwhile.

Regards,

-- Jon

Great!  I look forward to the upcoming release.

Have a look at this tentative new build, should be much, much faster:

http://www.viemu.com/ViEmuVS2010-2.5.8.vsix

It's a kind of "beta", unofficial, final release will come later this week.

Version 2.5.8 worked well, but it looks like the scrolling issue has returned in 2.5.9 sad

Hi, k0balt, I've been conducting several scroll speed tests and haven't noticed any differences, even between ViEmu installed/uninstalled. Is there any particular configuration in which this is more noticiable for you, such as C# project + ReSharper + Outline mode?

Hi Isaac_Symnum,
I am using nothing out of the ordinary.  I am using VS2010 with C# projects/solutions.  I am noticing that when I use the 'h' and 'k' keys to scroll up and down the file the cpu spikes and stay steady at 85+% until I let go of the key...

Isaac, kobalt, maybe something to do with the "win-word-wrap" option?

Kobalt, if you can post or send us a screenshot, it can often be surprisingly helpful. We may all be overlooking some specific condition that may be the cause.

What would you like a screen shot of?  The "ViEmu for Visual Studio - Settings" dialog?  If so, I can do that.  Where do I need to send the screen shot to?

Also, should I have uninstalled the previous version before installing the new one?

Kobalt, nope, just a screenshot of the whole IDE when it's being slow... just in case we're missing something. In any case, a screenshot of the settings window would also help, so please send both. Please send them to support at symnum dot com.

I don't think it's necessary to uninstall any previous version in VS2010... although I just have to hope MS didn't make in any mistake here, since install/uninstall are now controlled by VS exclusively (which I think is a better design than before!).

- Jon

OK, I sent an email with screen shots to support at symnum dot com.

Just an FYI...

When I turn ViEmu off the scroll went back to normal and the CPU did not not spike...
I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling ViEmu and that did not seem to help either.

k0balt,
I think I've found the reason for the high CPU utilization while scrolling, the next ViEmu release will have it fixed...

Awesome! Thanks.